PDA

View Full Version : Zaino Z8 help...

Pages : [1] 2

Peejay56
04-30-2007, 02:19 PM
A new Zaino user....

I carried out the Zaino process last weekend on my black 2007 VW Golf. This was done indoors at about 68 degrees.

1. Wash with washing up liquid.

2. Clayed the car with Z18 claybar.

3. Wash again using Z7.

4. Dried with Meguiars waffle weave towel.

5. Z5 followed by Z6 twice.

6. Z2 followed by Z6 twice.

The car looked great.

Waited the two hours recommended by Sal to put on the Z8. I applied it to the letter of the instructions, but no matter what I did it would not buff out clear - it always appeared greasy as if it wouldn`t dry. In the end I gave up and used Z6 again and the car came up great again. The Z6 buffed out a treat with no smearing giving a crystal clear sharp reflection.

Any tips or help you can give me guys?

Thanks in anticipation, Pete.

imported_GregCavi
04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the boards! How much Z8 were you applying to the panel? I set my sprayers to the very lowest setting and only spray a tiny bit per panel. As with most zaino products, you want to apply VERY THIN. Also, what towel are you using. I assume this was also done indoors/shade?

Greg

joshtpa
04-30-2007, 02:48 PM
He said it was done indoors at 68 degrees in the OP.

Peejay56
04-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Greg,

I tried two methods - as you say I also set the sprayer down to a very fine mist, but still it smeared. I tried the "dime" spot in the panel also and that smeared.

I used 3 new Dominique France Concours 100% cotton towels, as recommended by Sal. I used another one for the Z6 and that worked fine everytime.

Would it be better to use it diluted with distilled water?

Regards, Pete.

derekbmw
04-30-2007, 03:10 PM
for #5 and 6, do you mean you used Z5 and Z2 two times (4 layers)? If this is the case, I think it`s product overload.

If not, I guess you meant Z5 (followed by Z6ing 2 times) and followed by Z2 (Z6ing 2 times). Did you use ZFX? I always wait for sealants to cure before applying Z8, so my guess is your Z2 layer didn`t cure enough. I might be wrong :)

imported_GregCavi
04-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi Greg,

I tried two methods - as you say I also set the sprayer down to a very fine mist, but still it smeared. I tried the "dime" spot in the panel also and that smeared.

I used 3 new Dominique France Concours 100% cotton towels, as recommended by Sal. I used another one for the Z6 and that worked fine everytime.

Would it be better to use it diluted with distilled water?

Regards, Pete.

I am not a fan of the DF towels. I used to have them but gave them away. When I would use them with z6 or z8, I would have to buff for quite a bit to get them to spread. When using pak shak microfiber towels, I have no issues with the Z8. If you have microfibers, I would suggest trying the Z8 with those.

Greg

stilez
04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
I want to take a few steps back here...

What protection was on the car prior to your Zaino session?

Why didn`t you use a polish prior to sealing with Zaino?

What was the need of Z8 2 hours after adding two layers of sealant?

stilez
04-30-2007, 03:33 PM
I am not a fan of the DF towels. I used to have them but gave them away. When I would use them with z6 or z8, I would have to buff for quite a bit to get them to spread. When using pak shak microfiber towels, I have no issues with the Z8. If you have microfibers, I would suggest trying the Z8 with those.

Greg

Ditto.

I find the DF towels great for removing Z5 or Z2 Pro, but not Z6 or Z8 (IMO). They are so slick on the surface and I find the friction of the MF more beneficial when using Z6 or Z8.

Scottwax
04-30-2007, 03:59 PM
I think even with ZFX, the maximum number of layers is 3 in one session. I think you were applying Z8 over Z5/Z2 that wasn`t able to cure properly due to the number of layers. Try using Z8 again after your next wash and I think you will have much better results.

imported_rydawg
04-30-2007, 04:04 PM
I would say it is the towels too. I always use MF towels for zaino and it makes it a breeze.

If that`s not it then you might have product overload, but I doubt it. Or something on the car from the dealer.

Try the towels first.

JJUACC
04-30-2007, 04:51 PM
If you did all of that in one day, that`s too much.

Without ZFX, you should apply Z-2Pro and Z-5 Pro after 6-8 hours of cure time. With ZFX, there is a maximum of three coats and then you must wait 24 hours.

It probably felt a little bit greasy too, correct?

imported_paradigm
04-30-2007, 05:06 PM
i agree with the above...it`s probably a combination of too much product in too short a time...and also the towels.

one other thing is to shake it up well before using...maybe it settled out a bit in the bottle?

onelazydawg
04-30-2007, 05:17 PM
love Z8 and use just a spray or two with a cobra fluffy jr from autogeek, purple ones.

imported_GregCavi
04-30-2007, 06:30 PM
love Z8 and use just a spray or two with a cobra fluffy jr from autogeek, purple ones.

I have a handful of those. They work well for Z6 + Z8.

Greg

wannafbody
04-30-2007, 08:03 PM
if you didn`t use ZFX that is probably the issue. Allow it to cure and wash it and see how it looks. Apply some Z8 and see how it looks. Also, you can add some distilled water to Z8 to make it a little easier to work with.