PDA

View Full Version : Selling and Buying a home on the same day, getting a little stressed

General Lee
04-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I will be settling on my current house and buying my new one all in the same day. I will close on mine in the morning and will close on the new one a couple hours later. If anyone has ever done this, can you give some advice on how to make things run smooth?

When I leave in the morning on the day of settlement everything has to be packed and I won`t be returning to the house. I have a small storage unit but nothing big enough to hold everything. I guess I will renting a moving truck and drive it to closing and then head to the new house. I`m in the process of figuring everything out :wall

Anyway, anyone with experience with this can you offer some tips to make things run smoother? I would appreciate it.

velobard
04-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Sounds like a busy day. (So, does that qualify for understatement of the year?)

BJ007
04-28-2007, 12:19 AM
I will be settling on my current house and buying my new one all in the same day. I will close on mine in the morning and will close on the new one a couple hours later. If anyone has ever done this, can you give some advice on how to make things run smooth?

When I leave in the morning on the day of settlement everything has to be packed and I won`t be returning to the house. I have a small storage unit but nothing big enough to hold everything. I guess I will renting a moving truck and drive it to closing and then head to the new house. I`m in the process of figuring everything out :wall

Anyway, anyone with experience with this can you offer some tips to make things run smoother? I would appreciate it.

Get as many people/friends/family members involved as possible and assign them jobs. Explain that it is a stressful day and that you need their help. They can drive the truck to the new place and wait for you to arrive with the keys. I have had that stressful day twice, it sucked both times, but we lived through it.

bigltc
04-28-2007, 01:58 AM
Sell as much stuff as you can. Once you move that `old` couch to your `new` house your wife won`t like it anymore. Seems like that`s the way it is. Have fun and good luck!

kompressornsc
04-28-2007, 06:06 AM
The moving stuff part will be the easy part. Make sure the Title company / atttorney (whatever your state uses) has everything ready to go. I don`t think I`ve ever had a closing that went perfect-they always found something `missing` and the closing date changed. It`s like they don`t even look at the package until you sit down with them.

Also, if there is anyway, do a walkthrough before your purchase. I made the mistake of not doing it and taking posession 30 days after closing (not unusual in this area) and was left with a housefull of crap that the seller `thought I might want`. Nope-just stuff she didn`t want to move. Took weeks to get rid of all her stuff and I had no recourse to make her get it out.

Grimm
04-28-2007, 06:40 AM
Wow, that is crazy! Typically you have thirty days after close to move out. Good luck!

General Lee
04-28-2007, 08:56 AM
I have a little over two weeks before closing. My biggest fear is not having enough space to store stuff prior to the move. all the storage units are full :wall I got two dogs and a cat I don`t know where to put for the day......:faint:

a.k.a. Patrick
04-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Give us some particulars! New job? Relocating?

Sounds like fun! Congrats on the new place!

General Lee
04-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Give us some particulars! New job? Relocating?

Sounds like fun! Congrats on the new place!

I`m actually staying in the same county and zip code. I wanted to get out of neighborhood living and be off the beaten path a bit. The new house has a two car garage I`ve always wanted, its secluded and has a little land :dance

Its fun in a way, but a little stressful

imported_Surfer
04-28-2007, 11:07 AM
I part own a Real Estate Financing company for Commercial and Residential, go over the preliminary docs with your broker/attorney etc, to make sure everything will be done correctly and smoothly. You wouldn`t beleive how many people and brokers don`t do this and then wonder why issues arose at he closing, I`ve never had a closing go sour b/c I go over everything the day before to clear any hiccups.