PDA

View Full Version : More depth...by hand?

OStateFlyer
04-26-2007, 04:46 PM
I`ve been reading here for quite a while and am sold on the merits of machine polishing. With that said, I still haven`t bought one, though I see a PC in the near future. Until then, I`m still working by hand, and am looking to get more depth out of my paint. This is my `06 Impala, it is a little over a year old and is my DD. The pics below are of it after a quick wash with Mequiar`s Gold and QD. Its last bath, about 2 weeks prior to the pics, was Dawn, 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, 3M Perfect-It Liquid Wax, and topped with a Meguiar`s QD wipe down. Until I obtain a PC of some flavor, what can I do to get some more depth, or really any suggestions to improve the appearance.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w75/OStateFlyer/IMG_0134.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w75/OStateFlyer/IMG_0136.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w75/OStateFlyer/IMG_0133.jpg

PS: Excuse the grass, we had a nice freeze here that stunted the lawn:wall

Todd@RUPES
04-26-2007, 06:57 PM
While Imperial Hand Glaze is okay, I have never liked the 3M wax. Are you looking for OTC products or something to order online?

xhaust50
04-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Tough call on the light colored car with OTC products. I think the color of the car would look best with a sealant, so perhaps you can use a glaze underneath that works with sealants (CG EZ Creme Glaze, Menzerna FTG, FK1 300, etc.)

I think it looks good as it is though. Maybe pick up a tin of s100 at a harley davidson dealership and try out a layer or too. It leaves a pretty wet looking finish, plus has a nice way of bringing out the metallic in paint.

Paulie Walnuts
04-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Whats the cost of living like in OK?

Todd@RUPES
04-26-2007, 08:57 PM
You could try Meg`s DC2 with NXT paste. That would make that color pop, but your durability might not be that great.

OStateFlyer
04-26-2007, 09:27 PM
As far as OTC vs order, it`s nice to run to the store and pick something up, but I am definitely ready to step up to better products when their performance merits it. For me the jury is still out on the 3M wax. It looks good immediately after it is applied, but that seems to fade quickly. It doesn`t really stand out in any particular way for me, good or bad. It was recommended by a friend who details professionally so I gave it a shot. I hadn`t considered sealants simply because I don`t have any experience with them and have been happy with waxes. The idea of a pure carnauba wax has intrigued me, even given a less durable finish. I might even consider going with a pure carnauba during the warm months and then a longer lasting synthetic during winter. How does the S100 differ from the P21S?

As for cost of living here...it`s outstanding. I think on average OK is roughly 10% below the US average for cost of living. New homes and property are cheap, taxes are relatively low, and the people are friendly.

kyotousa
04-26-2007, 10:14 PM
def. need more depth on that car......

Scottwax
04-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Clearkote Vanilla Moose, Red Machine Glaze and Carnauba Moose all work well by hand and will definitely give you a deeper look.

I would invest in a PC when you can though. I detailed by hand professionally for about 10 years and was amazed at how much more deeply and evenly I could polish out cars using my PC.

Sveta
04-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Clearkote Vanilla Moose, Red Machine Glaze and Carnauba Moose all work well by hand and will definitely give you a deeper look.

I would invest in a PC when you can though. I detailed by hand professionally for about 10 years and was amazed at how much more deeply and evenly I could polish out cars using my PC.

So true, Scott. I was just thinking the other day how well VM & CM have stood the test of time, by hand or machine. Red Machine Glaze completes the Hat Trick.

chutney
04-27-2007, 09:13 AM
+1 for Red Machine Glaze. So easy to use.