PDA

View Full Version : "steam cleaner"?

LightngSVT
04-26-2007, 12:35 AM
It looks like my Bissel Steamvac has given up the ghost after about 5-6 years of use. Im not real anxious to have to buy another machine but need it between detailing and carpet cleaning in the house (I have a large dog). I assume Bissel and Hoover are the only one who makes these types of machines? I really dont want to spend $250-300 if I dont need to. What machine would you recommend and where to get it, prefer a local store like bed & Bath, Best Buy, Kohls, etc.

Accumulator
04-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but was your Bissell "SteamVac" a steamer or an extractor (my Bissells and Hoovers said "steam" in the name but were merely extractors)?

One solution might be the carpet cleaning attachment that Sears makes for their wet/dry vacs.

The little Bissell/Hoover units are good for handy spot cleanings, but they`re no substitute for a real full-size extractor IMO.

LightngSVT
04-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Yes, it was a "steamvac" extractor, not a steamer. I ended up buying the top of the line Hoover "SteamVac" from Sam`s club today for $197. Its nice, has a seperate tank for water/solution/dirty water, motorized brush attachment, crevice tool (extractor) and it is heated too. Plus it has 3 different settings for carpets and has an attachments for spraying "scotchguard" (not sure how effective that is?). I thought about a Little Green Clean Machine but in the end would have still needed another unit for the house carpet and would have spent more in the long run.

Accumulator
04-27-2007, 10:23 AM
OK, cool. Hope it works great for you.

LightngSVT
04-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks, it should as my last one lasted 5 years. And I dont want to spend the $$ for a "real" extractor, just not practical for a weekend warrior. I do want to get a steamer as well though.