PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting rid of some paint problems

imported_The Uncle
04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
My Acura TSX got swiped by a big chunk of flying wood. I got home and found wood residue on the passenger door, about three inches before and after the openning.

So, I first clayed the wood residue off the car. Underneath it, I found a very ugly set of fine scratches. It looked like somebody had gone up and down the side of the door with a piece of sandpaper.

I got out the PC and used a light cutting pad to apply #80. To my surprise, that got rid of most of the damage and left a very smooth surface. I followed that up with AIO and a polishing pad and, on much of the door, you can`t tell there was every a problem. The paint looks like new.

However, was not able to remove some pronounced roughness on the edge of the door, and right near the wheel well. The edge is hard to reach with a PC and I`m not confident enough with the PC (I`m a NooB) to try an aggressive pad. So, my plan was to use a more abrasive product, applied by hand.

Does that make sense? Can anybody make some suggestions?

velobard
04-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Sure. First of all if you can feel it with your fingernail it`s probably too deep to fix. If you want to just get in there and work by hand, from everything I hear the #1 choice by far is 1Z Ultra polish. It`s aggressive and works well by hand. You`ll want to finish it off with something finer, like 1Z PP.

imported_The Uncle
04-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Sure. First of all if you can feel it with your fingernail it`s probably too deep to fix. If you want to just get in there and work by hand, from everything I hear the #1 choice by far is 1Z Ultra polish. It`s aggressive and works well by hand. You`ll want to finish it off with something finer, like 1Z PP.

Thanks for the input. I suspect that you are right - that it is too deep to fix (the other scratches definitely could not be felt with a finger nail).

I`m about to put in a big PAKSHAK order, so I`ll add 1Z Ultra Polish to the order.

velobard
04-25-2007, 06:34 PM
The Ultra is good stuff, but you will want to finish it out with something finer. Even if you can`t totally remove the marring, hopefully you can make it look a lot better by rounding off the edges of the scratches. Beyond that, well there`s always glaze.

imported_The Uncle
04-25-2007, 06:37 PM
The Ultra is good stuff, but you will want to finish it out with something finer. Even if you can`t totally remove the marring, hopefully you can make it look a lot better by rounding off the edges of the scratches. Beyond that, well there`s always glaze.

I have #80 and #9. Could I use those to follow-up the ULTRA?