PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wants to do 1st detail

dsmiles
04-25-2007, 01:45 AM
I bought a new black 2007 Lexus GX470 5 months ago. I have been taking it to the dealership every week to get the complimentary free car wash. I have inspected the SUV and do not see any swirl marks. They maybe there but is not easily noticeable. I would like to begin doing the car detail myself but am afraid that I may do something stupid and mess up the paint on the SUV.

I have been reading car detailing information from this site and other sites for ~2 weeks. I am looking for a detail guide that will work for me. I probably will not be able to wash the SUV and do touchups no more than twice a month. I plan to do major detailing no more than 1-2 times every 3 months.

One of the questions I have about my car is does it have a clear coat. The color is black onyx. I have heard that some Lexus vehicles have single stage paint and if so you need to be extra careful with polishing. Another concern I have is using a PC. I have never used one of these tools before. I read that it is fairly easy to use but I am worried about what should I be taping on the SUV and what areas should not be polished. Like should the PC be used on the lower portion of the side of the car (door and around wheel), sideview mirror, front and rear lights, etc.

Below is my attempt at putting together a list. I am looking for that deep wet look. There appear to be mixed posting as to whether Zaino products will give that wet look. Please give feedback

Wash with Optimum car wash

Clay paint (do I need to use dove liquid detergent?)

Optimum Polish

Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax or Poorboy`s EX w/carnauba

Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss for tires