PDA

View Full Version : New dude with some Q?

greenbaygtp
04-24-2007, 11:46 PM
"sorry i put this in here, please move if in wrong spot, i also put this in greeting section" ha ha im matt, ive been researching on here for a cupple weeks now, and i have in the past polished and waxed by hand. Id like to learn how to use a machine to make my detailing results explode. ive been reading on how to use a rotary and so forth, now i have a few questions that im sure i will get a ton of answers for. i actually am really confused with which rotary to buy and what type of pads, and how many pads to buy to get started. i want to get my car perfect! so i also need to know what product kit to go with. here are some pics of what i have now. remember i did this by hand, so dont laugh.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/turbostorm2659/P1000598.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/turbostorm2659/P1000595.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/turbostorm2659/P1000593.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/turbostorm2659/P1000588.jpg

greenbaygtp
04-25-2007, 12:37 AM
ok i was thinking after some reading, should i just get a step kit and do slowly by hand? my car does not have any swirls, just minor scratches. last product i used on my car was meg`s nxt. and id like to get some of the fine scratches out and i want to get this car to really pop! my car gets dusty very quicklyalso, what product would work best for my red paint? and to keep dust from clinging to my car like a magnet :)

Pennypacker
04-25-2007, 12:53 AM
I guess I`ll be the first to say it: Don`t start out with a rotary. Go with a PC or Cyclo first. Either will address most problems and they`re fairly idiot-proof. Then down the road, if you have to, step up to the rotary if there`s major corrective work to be done that the former two can`t fix.

greenbaygtp
04-25-2007, 12:58 AM
should i just stick with hand? cant mess up to bad doing that.

greenbaygtp
04-25-2007, 01:15 AM
ok this is what im thinking, klasse all in one, s100 carnauba 2 coats, Opti gaze 2 coats will that give me the wet shine im after?

Pennypacker
04-25-2007, 01:21 AM
The problem is it`s exceedingly difficult to get swirls and spiderweb scratches out by hand. Even if you`re really patient and work at it all day long, you won`t be able to get the same results that you can achieve by a random orbital in an hour or two. If you can, I would get either a PC or Cyclo. Or maybe even wait a little bit and get David B`s Ultimate Detailing Machine (see Sponsor Forums at the bottom). I suspect that will be quite a nice and user-friendly machine.

Gimics
04-25-2007, 01:27 AM
Hey Matt. I`m pretty new to this stuff too.. but from what I`ve come to understand, if your going to go with a Machine Polisher, go with the PC first. And your product selection is all going to depend on what you want out of the products. Ease of use? Money? Extended durability or maintaining the wetness?

I`m driving a Red with gold flaked civic and I`m just starting to stock up with some real products for my PC. I`ve come to think that for starting out.. get some stuff that`s simple and every has good stuff to say about it. Something like Optimum Poli-Seal (or Klasse AIO) which will serve as a one step prep and sealant. Then if you want to go for durability, keep with the NXT and maybe get an LSP spray like Jeff Werkstatts AJT for extra pop. If durability isn`t an issue, you could go with Optimum Polish and top with a couple coats of a carnauba based wax (and keep a detail spray handy).

The best way I`ve found for deciding on products is reading through everyone`s process on the Click and Brag forums... and if your only going to be doing your car, then especially check out what`s worked on the red cars! For instance, this red lexus SC430 (http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/88509-sc430-67-camaro-ml430-escalade-f-150-accord-denali.html) Scott did.

Kyle

greenbaygtp
04-25-2007, 01:29 AM
i know i wont get all the fine scatches out by hand, but they are not very noticable right now, but ill try anyways....i guess. i should just wait till the ultimate machine comes out, untill then how does that combo sound to get a nice shine?

Pennypacker
04-25-2007, 02:00 AM
For hand application, 1Z polishes and Clearkote glazes are quite nice. I`ve never used S100, but I know a lot of people like it. By Opti glaze, do you mean Opti-Seal? If so, that`s meant for hand application so you should be fine there. Others know better about looks and durability on that though as it`s another product I`ve yet to try.

Generally, you really only need a machine for polishing. For most other stuff, hand-application isn`t a problem--it`s just sometimes easier by PC.

I think Gimics has excellent advice as well.

Good luck! :)

BlueZero
04-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Shoot me a PM if you want to try out any products. I am moving into a house this weekend with a 2.5 stall garage :woohoo: So I will have lots more room than my one stall apartment. I have PC and a ton of Meguiar`s products as well as a few other brands. I am in the De Pere area. Welcome to Autopia.