PDA

View Full Version : What applicator for polish and then liquid sealant

Throbber
04-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Hi all

Wondering what you guys think the best applicator to use for each product that I`ll be using at the weekend...

Start off with clay, I`m ok with that (well never used before but I don`t need an applicator, although any tips would be usefull)

Then P21S paintwork cleanser, I usually use the terry applicator it came with but wondering if I`d be better to use either a Meguiars sponge or a microfibre applicator. What will be safest for the paint but also help to remove the swirls (or does the product do this without any help from the applicator).

Then onto Auto Glym Ultra Deep Shine, same dilema, microfibre or Meguiars sponge.

Then onto Auto Glym Liquid Hardwax (bulk version of Extra Gloss Protection), I usually apply with a cloth but am open to suggestions.

Finishing with P21S Carnuba wax, I use the sponge that it came with.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

mikebai1990
04-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Terry cloth will probably provide the "bite" necessary to cleanse the paint.

For wax, the foam type applicator is better.

Altec
04-24-2007, 05:40 PM
microfiber is always better than a terry cloth... they cost more, but are worth it IMO. The meguiars sponges wont scratch, but I think the are useless if doing a whole vehicle with them. You will need multiple sponges if that is your chosen route.

Are you applying these by hand or with a machine?

Throbber
04-25-2007, 03:24 AM
Thanks Mike, I think that`s what I`m looking for "bite" but was worried about damaging the paint.

Altec that`s interesting about the Meguiars sponges, do you mean that to do a whole car you will need to keep replacing them, do they break down easily?

I already have microfibre applicators, terry applicators and the sponges just haven`t used the sponges yet.

Looks like the Megiaurs sponge is out for the paintwork cleanser, will use the terry or microfibre (leaning towards terry after what Mike said about bite).

For the Ultra Deep Shine, it`ll be either microfibre or sponge, sounds like microfibre might be better.

Am I ok to use a cotton cloth to apply the liquid wax seal?

Oh, I will be applying these all by hand. :(

Thanks again.

Altec
04-25-2007, 12:11 PM
You will need to keep replacing them... they get really saturated with product and can get hard to work with IMO. They work great for smaller, spot cleaning, but a whole car would be too much I think.

Throbber
04-25-2007, 01:56 PM
I might give it a go on the liquid wax as that`s a wipe on rather than applying pressure, I guess the only downside is the sponge will absorb a lot of product first.

Was watching the videos on meguiars.com and was interested to see them using the sponges and also using a circular motion. I normally use straight lines rather than circles, is there a "best" way?