PDA

View Full Version : 3M Perfect-It III 05937

xtremekustomz
04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
I`m using the Porter Cable 7497 and after I stop polishing it is hard to remove the polish left behind. Am I working it too long? Not long enough? I`m able to spray some quick detail on it and it comes off fine. Just wondering. Anyway, this is the first time using the new PC....definately :up I`d say I`ve removed about 95% of the swirls on hood so far.

orngez
04-24-2007, 03:54 PM
you need to work the polish longer...

Accumulator
04-24-2007, 04:21 PM
*OR* you need to not work it as long ;) And/or use more or less product! Sounds crazy huh? But I`ve had problems removing it with mistakes in each direction but usually only when I *really* got it wrong; I always found 05937 to be very user-friendly so I expect you to have an "ah-hah!" moment where you do something different and it suddenly works easily.

Don`t work it until it`s dry. A spritz of something like the Med`s QD (I use #34 for this) can help and shouldn`t hurt anything.

I really like 05937 and I think that once you get the hang of it (which won`t take long) you will too. Let us know what changes worked for you.

xtremekustomz
04-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I got it figured out. I went back out after I posted this and went back to work with it. It really only seemed to do it on the hood. On the side panels I had no problem at all. I think I was actually using too much. The polisher is just what I needed to remove those holograms. Also (accumulator) you`ve been very helpful and I appreciate it. I actually found a place here on the new that has the 05937 in qt and gallons in stock. I`m probably about to get some more because I haven`t found anywhere here locally yet that has any in stock or that can get any. Also the Lake pad recommendation worked really well. Now I wish I had ordered the small pads to do my sail panels and all that. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Accumulator
04-24-2007, 06:16 PM
xtremekustomz- Glad (but not surprised ;) ) to hear you got it sorted out.

Yeah, I`ve stockpiled a good bit of both the 05933 and the 05937. Some people hate their dusting and say "good riddance", but I really like those products and IMO it`s a shame the VOC regulations killed them off.

Heh heh, you might want to consider those small pads, I find `em very handy. Easy for me to spend your money though ;)

xtremekustomz
04-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah, they do make some dust. Have you used any of the new products? Especially the one that replaced the 05937? As for spending money....I`ve got all my receipts of things I`ve bought for the truck in the last 4 months but I`m scared to add them all up. I`m sure my feelings will be hurt when I finally do though. I think I`m over 7k though.....kinda makes me sick but I`ll have a nice ride when I get through :)

Accumulator
04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
xtremekustomz- Eh...with the level of workmanship you put into it I wouldn`t sweat the cost of the materials/etc. You did *your* part right...and all the stuff you spent money on helped make that happen. As you can probably tell, I`m used to rationalizing project-vehicle expense :o

I *DO NOT* like the new PI-3000 line. Might be just a matter of being used to the PI-III stuff, but if/when I need something to replace the PI-III I`ll just use another product line. Optimum is ok, much as I complain about it ;) and Menzerna has some great stuff too for those times when I don`t want to use 1Z.

Glossequation
04-25-2007, 12:11 PM
I wasn`t going to respond to this thread, but because it involves such a great product, I couldn`t resist.

3M`s Perfect It III MG is one of the BEST overall polishes I`ve ever used. Great for light swirling, perfect for stepping down after Fine Cut to get rid of hazing. I have found that moistening the pad a good deal (even perhaps running it under the faucet, then wringing it out), allows you to work the polish nicely and makes your pad a bit more flexible. I normally use MG with a white polishing pad.

Here`s a tip: apply @ 3 OPM, then kick it to 6 OPM and get to work. The polish will flash almost immediately but with the moist pad will not dry up completely before you`ve completed that area of your car. It will start dissapearing some as your pad picks it up, this is a good time to stop working this area. On your final pass, apply ZERO pressure to the pad in order to pick up as much product as possible. This will help in what you have to buff off with a MF.

superstring
04-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I`m using the Porter Cable 7497 and after I stop polishing it is hard to remove the polish left behind. Am I working it too long? Not long enough? I`m able to spray some quick detail on it and it comes off fine. Just wondering. Anyway, this is the first time using the new PC....definately :up I`d say I`ve removed about 95% of the swirls on hood so far.

Just curious, what is a Porter Cable 7497? I did a search and can`t find any info :confused:

xtremekustomz
04-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Just curious, what is a Porter Cable 7497? I did a search and can`t find any info :confused:

LOL I ended up hitting the wrong numbers. Getting everything mixed up with all these 3M numbers. I meant the 7424

Invigor
04-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, they do make some dust. Have you used any of the new products? Especially the one that replaced the 05937? As for spending money....I`ve got all my receipts of things I`ve bought for the truck in the last 4 months but I`m scared to add them all up. I`m sure my feelings will be hurt when I finally do though. I think I`m over 7k though.....kinda makes me sick but I`ll have a nice ride when I get through :)

Just curious to what replaced 05937, I loved the stuff, but can`t find anymore of it :(

xtremekustomz
04-25-2007, 02:51 PM
I think it was the 3000 Trizact 06070