PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chip Question

jhorton
04-24-2007, 02:57 PM
I have a few paint chips on my car. Aside from them looking bad, if the chip is not down to the metal and only to the primer do you have to worry about the spot rusting?

I just don`t have the time to go over every chip and repair them. I now have quite a few after all my winter driving.

This may answer my own question, but my old car had tons on the hood only to the primer and none ever rusted after having the car for 5 years.

Kriminal
04-25-2007, 07:10 AM
If you can`t see bare metal, then you`ll be okay.

But you really shouldn`t post these kinda things on a site like this - people get upset when they read about others who "can`t be bothered" to perfect their paint :D

Shame on you (j/k) :chuckle:

Accumulator
04-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Theoretically, many primers are more permeable than topcoats; moisture can get through them and rust the metal. But I`ve never had a problem with it happening. But then again, I`ve never had a big problem with to-the-metal chips rusting either, probably because I keep the chipped area detailed :nixweiss Waxes and sealants can go a long way towards preventing such stuff from getting out of hand.

I seldom touch them up unless I`m doing a big, whole-job detail, which I don`t do very often...if/when the chipping gets *too* bad I have my painer redo the area.