PDA

View Full Version : Which rotary?

Pages : [1] 2

xtremekustomz
04-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Which do you guys prefer and why? DeWalt, Porter Cable, or Makita? I`ve got the Porter cable 7424 polisher but I would also like to have the rotary for cases where the polisher won`t work.

justin30513
04-22-2007, 05:28 PM
A good one to buy is the 29.95 Harbor Freight model for learning. It`s very safe....even at full speeds. Not to much torque but nice to remove major defects with. I know of 10 pros that use this one and love it.

I`m learning it myself. For 30.00, you can`t go wrong.

xtremekustomz
04-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Do you happen to have a model # on that one?

xtremekustomz
04-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92623)

Is this it?

justin30513
04-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Yep. That`s the same one I have. 9.8 amp motor. Not the 11 amps of the Dewalt but this is all that you need........for now.

You will be impressed with it. Promise.

Joshua312
04-22-2007, 05:48 PM
I`ll be receiving my Metabo tomorrow - - I did a lot of research from archived threads on this site and others and many people either

1. Recommend the Metabo

or

2. Wish they would have saved up or are replacing their current rotary with the Metabo

From what I have heard/read it is perfectly balanced, light-weight, very well put together, and handles much like the PC. I will let you know how I like it tomorrow when I try it out as well as post some clips of me using it if you would like.

Accumulator
04-22-2007, 06:16 PM
I like both the Makita and the Metabo...different, but both have their pros/cons. I prefer to stick with machies that`ll maintain a constant speed under load, something the lower-priced ones don`t always do.

SpoiledMan
04-22-2007, 06:31 PM
I think I read that you`re painting cars, correct? I think it would be a wiser investment for you to get a quality machine from the get go. Cutting and buffing is tough on a rotary polisher.

xtremekustomz
04-22-2007, 06:57 PM
I think I read that you`re painting cars, correct? I think it would be a wiser investment for you to get a quality machine from the get go. Cutting and buffing is tough on a rotary polisher.

I`ve always been big on buying name brand products. As for paining vehicles, it`s pretty much a hobby now. I do alot of different things. Right now I`m in school going for my electronics degree but before I stared that I was remodeling houses. As for vehicles I do body work, paint, build anything out of fiberglass, absolutely love car audio (home audio for that matter as well), lowering, and just now getting into learning professional detailing. I`ve found that it is ALOT cheaper to buy your own tools and learn for yourself. I enjoy doing it all to tell you the truth. As for a rotary, I used an air powered one to do my truck but I`m not always going to be around a large air compressor. By the way, if you buy an air compressor, don`t buy a Kobalt. I got screwed on mine. I had it for 4 days and it tore up. They sent me replacement parts that I had to replace myself. A week later I drained the tank and it had oil in it. They told me that they would not warranty it.

Black Diamond
04-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Did someone say Hitachi????

todd@bsaw
04-22-2007, 07:57 PM
I use a Dewalt, but its mostly from personal taste. I`ve been using the dewalt for years and I`m just used to the way it handles. I`d probably never get anything different because I resist change.

lippstuh
04-23-2007, 12:00 AM
the one at harbor freight tools: Chicago 7" VARIABLE SPEED POLISHER/SANDER

it`s $50.... i can`t find a stupid PC at any lowes

firegate
04-23-2007, 03:13 AM
A good one to buy is the 29.95 Harbor Freight model for learning. It`s very safe....even at full speeds. Not to much torque but nice to remove major defects with. I know of 10 pros that use this one and love it.

I`m learning it myself. For 30.00, you can`t go wrong.

It`s a bit irresponsible to say that the HF rotary is "very safe even at full speeds". It`s just as capable of burning paint as any other rotary.

FWIW, I have one of the HF rotaries and I don`t really care for it. It is capable of getting the job done, but I`d want a better machine (the Makita is my fav) if I were doing anything professionally.

justin30513
04-23-2007, 05:29 AM
It`s a bit irresponsible to say that the HF rotary is "very safe even at full speeds". It`s just as capable of burning paint as any other rotary.

FWIW, I have one of the HF rotaries and I don`t really care for it. It is capable of getting the job done, but I`d want a better machine (the Makita is my fav) if I were doing anything professionally.

Everyone has their preference. Of course here, what one uses must be the gospel. When I say safe, I mean you still need to take caution. Most say the PC is safe but it can still do damage. I know of professionals that use the HF and like and get equal results.

Professionals aren`t made by their tools. Nice tools will not make a novice any better than he or she is. If you read more, I recommended it to learn on. I guess the internet police missed that part.

Firegate, you have any pics of your rotary work?

Way2SSlow
04-23-2007, 07:57 AM
I`ve had a Makita 9227 for quite a few years and never had a problem. It does sit around and collect dust either, I use it....maybe not as much as a pro detailer, but it sees atleast a few cars a month and has for a long time.