PDA

View Full Version : OP work in time

metload1
04-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi,

I finally got a day to work on my car, I`ve got the Edge dual action kit from autogeek and some Optimum Polish.

So the first thing I did was get out the Edge blue pad and go to work. When I was done I had more swirls than when I started. I did it a couple times more and not much happened, so I got out the Edge green pad and did the same thing. After three or four rounds with that pad I seem to have considerably reduced the swirls, so I did a couple more runs with the blue pad. It looked less swirled than before, so I backed the car out into the bright sunlight, and the area I had polished had a lot more, but smaller swirls. Almost like a hologram from a rotary. What`s my problem? I worked in the polish for about 45 seconds each time, and I think that`s probably the problem. It looked like it was broken down after that, but I have a white car so it`s really hard to tell, and I`m worried about dry buffing. Also, am I going to aggressive? The swirls weren`t that horrible. I didn`t want to go through my clear coat with another 4-5 passes of the green pad, so I figured I`d ask here first. Also, maybe I`m not going aggressive enough and need to get out the yellow pad, I`m new to this so I don`t know.

Here`s some pics of the swirling, these are the only pics I could get that would show it, white cars are hard that way.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q301/metload1/IM000497.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q301/metload1/IM000496.jpg

Thanks

ron231
04-22-2007, 05:12 PM
With OP, if you think you`re using the right amount, you`re using too much. On a white car, when its broken down its going to be basically invisible, and you wont dry buff dont worry OP has a LOT of lube in it. I am not familiar with edge pads as I use lake country but those swirls are so minor I would use my white polishing pad and break down the OP for a long time.

Also, you cant go through your clear with a pc, its almost impossible. When someone on the meguiars forums tested how much clear youre really taking off with various methods (pc, wetsanding, rotary) the amount the pc took off was so small he couldnt measure the difference with his paint meter.

RTexasF
04-22-2007, 05:16 PM
OP has a very long working time. You can easily go 3-5 minutes on a single area. Use a small amount and work it twice as long as you think you should.

Frito Bandito
04-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Could be that you are using too much polish and not breaking it down completely. I`m not an expert on OP (only used it a couple of times) but a little bit goes a LONG way. After the pad is primed it only take a drop or two to work 1/4 of the hood on my 02 Silverado. You can work OP forever so make sure you are breaking it down completely.

I`m not familiar with Edge pads but start out with a light polishing pad, if that doesn`t get the job done go to a pad that is one step more aggressive than the one you are using.

imported_themightytimmah
04-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Looks like too much polish. Try using only 2 dots of polish per 2X2 area... each dot the size of a pea.

metload1
04-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Hey thanks for the tips.

I`ll try again with the blue pad and work it a lot longer.

One question while I`m at it lol. I used the green pad for several passes on certain spots, and I still didn`t get all the swirls out. Probably half are left. Did I get rid of the original swirls and make new ones because I didn`t break down the polish correctly? Or did I never get most of the swirls in the first place because I was just spinning on lube?

Hopefully the green wasn`t to aggressive for what I needed.