PDA

View Full Version : Using PC 7424 to remove 2000grit?

natdc2
04-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Planning to paint my car daytona blue soon in the upcoming week and I have a few question on how to use the PC 7424. I know I will wetsand the entire car with 2000grit sandpaper after the clear have dry for a couple of days or so. But, I was wondering if the PC is capable of doing the job? If so what kind of lake country pad would yall recommend and the type of compound and polish to use with it? I really want to avoid using a rotary, because of being unexperience using one, cost, and time is not an issue whatsoever. Thanks.

xtremekustomz
04-21-2007, 10:01 PM
How many coats of clear are you planning on putting on it? I would recommend at least 4 coats. The best way is to flow coat it, 2 coats, sand with 1000 and 2 more coats. If you do that you will have enough material on there to safely use a rotary. You may still need to use the PC for your final polish. I had good results out of the 3M Perfect-It III rubbing compound and 3M Perfect-It III Maching glaze. Some of the more experienced guys may be able to help more.

imported_Reflectionz
04-21-2007, 10:12 PM
yes but it will take you 4x the time and work as an rotary.

getfit74
04-21-2007, 11:58 PM
An orbital for cutting clear down? Not going to cut it.

SpoiledMan
04-22-2007, 12:02 AM
For the whole car? You will need a lot of time and patience and that`s putting it lightly.

xhaust50
04-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Are you asking if the PC can remove 2000 grit sanding marks? (if so, yes)

Or are you asking if the PC can replace the need for wetsanding the clear? (if so, no).

Accumulator
04-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Are you asking if the PC can remove 2000 grit sanding marks? (if so, yes)

Or are you asking if the PC can replace the need for wetsanding the clear? (if so, no).

Yeah :xyxthumbs

I`ll qualify the first part just a little though...removing the sanding scratches will got *LOT* easier if you use Meguiar`s Unigrit paper (or, IIRC Nikken). 3M makes it "iffy" because it doesn`t leave a uniformly 2000 grit finish IME.

For that matter, my good painter uses some 4000 grit stuff for his final wetsand and I`d at *least* go with 3000 if finishing by PC. 2000 is doable (been there) but it`s not fun.

On the PC, I`d probably use a 4" pad setup for the aggressive work, and yeah, the old 3M PI-III twins (RC 05933 and MG 05937) work well but they`re getting hard to find.

natdc2
04-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the replies and information guys. I guess yall changed my mind about using a dual action polisher heh. I got a cheap harbor freight chicago buffer with speed dial in my shed somewhere and I`ll probaly buy some lake country pad and try it out on an older hood and see how it goes. But, I still have no clue on what kind of polish or compound to use. I been searching and a lot of people seem to use different products. I might need some help there deciding if anyone would care to help. Thanks.

Accumulator
04-22-2007, 05:02 PM
.. I still have no clue on what kind of polish or compound to use. I been

searching and a lot of people seem to use different products. I might need some help there deciding if anyone would care to help. Thanks.

If your local autobody/paint supply place still has some of the old 3M Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound (pn 05933) and Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (pn 05937), those two would work well. Otherwise I`d shop for something like Hi-Temp Extreme Cut Leveler (or maybe just their Heavy Cut) at Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html) and then something milder to follow up with.

Dan
04-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Like the others have mentioned, the PC will do the work, but it will take a LONG time. I wetsanded a hood recently and didn`t feel like dragging out the rotary, talk about a little effort to save a lot of time. I ended up having to do 6-8 passes with the PC+Meg`s Maroon Pad+#84. Came out great but it was a TON of work.