PDA

View Full Version : Taping a seam?

Changeling
04-21-2007, 04:20 PM
When you tape a seam, like between the fender and hood (example) and polish out a section or the whole fender till it is the best you can do. Then you remove the tape, there is going to be an unpolished area where the tape was. Do you finish this thin area along the seam by hand with the same polishing product or what?

Changeling

orngez
04-21-2007, 04:45 PM
if using a pc no real need to tape down a seam other that to save yourself some clean up...with a rotary its a little trickier but even a seam can still be polished...just takes the right technique not to burn the paint off...otherwise most people i know just leave the seam as is...1/4 inch of unpolished seam is not noticeabe if you taped up evenly

David703
04-22-2007, 10:27 PM
and if using a rotory, make sure that the seams are at the same height.. a slight difference in height, which isn`t noticed by you , will ruin your day.

kyotousa
04-22-2007, 10:32 PM
so no need to tape the seem when polish with PC

true or no?

gonna use my pc for the first time on 14th...

SVR
04-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Great point david. I just do it by hand.

brwill2005
04-23-2007, 09:04 AM
With an orbital, taping is almost never necessary. With the rotary, I tape any plastic trim pieces, or any protruding parts; such as door handles, washer nozzles, etc. I never tape seams for the exact reason you mentioned.