PDA

View Full Version : Taping off trim

pogo123
05-16-2005, 08:27 PM
I noticed that some of the pro detailers tape off the trim on the cars they are working on. Is that something that most of you do all the time or is it only for certain cars or processes?

GregCavi
05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
I always tape of when i will be using a product that can stain trim. Usually that is polishing. It takes time to tape off that you can be working but it definatly pays off when you dont have to remove and dress all the trim you have stained.

Greg

matthiasj
05-16-2005, 11:58 PM
i would, it`ll just pay off in the end, and you wont have to worry about being careful.

JaredPointer
05-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don`t. I guess it all depends on how careful you want to be around the trim and how much time/effort you want to spend cleaning up the trim afterwrads. (This is with PC work only)

mtwedt
05-17-2005, 12:42 PM
If I`m compounding/polishing, I tape the trim. That way you can zip around with the PC and not worry about trim cleanup. For sealent and wax: if I do it with the PC, I apply and remove the product by hand around the trim areas on the doors and use the PC for the larger areas. This keeps the product and the dust out of the trim. You still need to keep a detailing brush handy even with this method, but I have found it much quicker and far less dust to brush out.

Mungo
05-17-2005, 12:58 PM
What do you use for tape? I taped off this past weekend for the first time using regular masking tape and it left behind a little residue. Would painters tape work better?

JeffM
05-17-2005, 04:21 PM
3M makes some low stick tape. Check an auto paint store, theyll have it.

mtwedt
05-18-2005, 12:37 PM
What do you use for tape? I taped off this past weekend for the first time using regular masking tape and it left behind a little residue. Would painters tape work better?I use painter`s tape with no problem.

Boss_429
05-18-2005, 06:56 PM
I noticed that some of the pro detailers tape off the trim on the cars they are working on. Is that something that most of you do all the time or is it only for certain cars or processes?
It never hurts to do some taping when using a PC (or even by hand). With a rotary buffer, it`s almost a must. A lot of pro detailers use a rotary buffer.... that`s why you see the taped (and more) vehicles.