PDA

View Full Version : Help!

jurichar
04-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Hey all,

I`ve been around here alot lately reading and learning, and i finally decided to ante up and buy all the good stuff to do what i thought would be a GREAT detail job!

This is what i did:

1) Wash car with Dawn

2) repeat #1

3) clay with mcguires clay bar kit

4) rinse off car

5) Turtle wax rubbing compound with hand application

6) Turtle was polishing compound with hand application

7) p21s paint cleansing lotion

8)klasse All in one x one coat

9) Klasses sealant glaze x 5 coats (at least 24 hours between coats)

10)P21s wax x 1 coat

Because of the cruddy temps here in michigan most of these were applied in my semi-heated garage with temps around 35-45 degrees (i used a portable heater when i applied everything, and allowed it to dry overnight at those temps)

The whole process was completed in my garage and i never drove the car until i was completely finished.

Due to circumstances beyond my control I had to take my car out of the garage prior to "beautiful" weather. I.e. i had to drive it on a somewhat snowy/rainy day the day after my coat of p21s.

Below are pics of what it looked like before and what it looked like the next day!!!!

When it was in the garage there were NO swirls or scratches what so ever, as soon as i took it out everything was a mess. I should also mention that this front quarter and hood are actually new paint (500 miles/6 months or so on the paint).

Did i screw something up? i thought klasse sealant was supposed to PREVENT this kind of stuff???

What can i do to fix it??

Also... i should add, i have washed the car twice, but the mit was a BRAND NEW sonus washing mit!

Help please!!

before

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/jurichar/075.jpg

after

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/jurichar/IMG_0570.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/jurichar/IMG_0569.jpg

the other pc
04-20-2007, 07:12 PM
HI jurichar, :welcome to Autopia.

Hmmm, I guess I’ll just start at the beginning and work down.

1) Wash car with Dawn

I don’t think this is a good idea, but it won’t hurt occasionally. Do yourself a favor and get a nice car shampoo.

2) repeat #1

Ditto.

3) clay with mcguires clay bar kit

Always a good move.

4) rinse off car

Not sure why you did it, but it doesn’t hurt as long as you dry it off before you get any spotting.

5) Turtle wax rubbing compound with hand application

Bad idea, very bad idea. Orange sand in a can, scary stuff. Strangely enough, I spent last night with a bunch of friends helping a gal who had made this mistake on her car.

6) Turtle was polishing compound with hand application

Very bad idea #2, but not as bad as very bad idea #1 in step 5).

7) p21s paint cleansing lotion

Haven’t used it, but I would think it’s good stuff. In this case, the damage was already done.

8)klasse All in one x one coat

Haven’t used this either, but many folks here like it.

9) Klasses sealant glaze x 5 coats (at least 24 hours between coats)

Sure, whatever, if you like it, knock yourself out.

10)P21s wax x 1 coat

haven’t tried this either. Again, lot’s of folks here love the stuff.

When it was in the garage there were NO swirls or scratches what so ever, as soon as i took it out everything was a mess.

They were there. It was just the “flattering†lighting conditions.

Did i screw something up?

Yes. But probably not irretrievably.

i thought klasse sealant was supposed to PREVENT this kind of stuff???

No, it’s not. Sealants and waxes are supposed to be like Tupperware. They “seal in the goodness.†If a sandwich tastes bad before you burp the lid it’ll taste bad when you pull it out of your lunch box.

The three most import steps in finish care are prep, prep and prep.

What can i do to fix it??

Spend some more time reading around here, ask more questions, get a machine like a PC or Cyclo, choose a polish and pad system and get ready to sweat.

It’s intimidating at first, but you’ll get there.

PC.

ps- Oh, and lose the compounds.

kleraudio
04-20-2007, 07:30 PM
PC is right, those swirls and scratches were there, the lighting in your garage just wasnt showing it. You have a dark colored car so some halogen work lights would help you see *most* marring.

I have been having some problems with lighting as well, but for black and other dark colors, in my experience, halogens work very well to see most swirling.

I also suggest you pick up a PC and read some more on these forums, there is a wealth of information on here. It is how I learned most of what I know about detailing!

Jim

jurichar
04-20-2007, 11:19 PM
it is necessary to get a pc??? I`m not looking to get into the business of detailing, and this is really the only car i will ever do, i dont mind working hard either ;)

Also, could someone point me in the right direction as far as what steps i should take now to undo the damage i`ve done?? I dont even know where to start...how can i strip off all the klasse?? how strong of cutting product will i need to repair this type of damage?

This sucks ;) it took forever to do all that work that i apparently did wrong!!:furious: :furious:

sapple89
04-21-2007, 12:01 AM
wash+ clay+ polish+ sealant (meg#21) + wax

if you are going to seal you will need to wait 12-24hrs for the sealant to cure. meg #21 and 360(i think im not sure) are the only 2 sealants that dont need a curing time

jurichar
04-21-2007, 12:24 AM
any brands of polish...apparently im no good at choosing them off the shelf ;)

sevenrd
04-21-2007, 12:43 AM
it is necessary to get a pc??? I`m not looking to get into the business of detailing, and this is really the only car i will ever do, i dont mind working hard either ;)

Also, could someone point me in the right direction as far as what steps i should take now to undo the damage i`ve done?? I dont even know where to start...how can i strip off all the klasse?? how strong of cutting product will i need to repair this type of damage?

This sucks ;) it took forever to do all that work that i apparently did wrong!!:furious: :furious:

Even if you`re only going to be taking of your car, I think the PC is a good purchase. Especially with black cars, it`s very difficult to keep them free of marring. Having a PC will make polishing much easier and also serve as a tool to maintain the finish. once you get the worst of the marring out, you can maintain the finish by doing an occasional light polish as needed. You can also use the PC to apply/remove waxes.

I haven`t used any OTC polishes in quite a while, so can`t help you there. If you order online there are many good ones: Menzerna, Optimum, Poorboy`s, Hi-Temp, and on.

orngez
04-21-2007, 12:51 AM
the turtle wax compounds were your biggest mistake...they dont break down very well and hand application only makes them worse...i`m not trying to be mean but yes you screwed up...but...it is all fixable :) ..you need to invest in a pc and some good polishes..like xmt, menzerna, clearkote, etc and spend some time again with your car...

DaGonz
04-21-2007, 07:09 AM

You`re driving a Porsche... the cost of a PC, backing plate and a good set of pads is probably less than the cost of an oil change for you!

What you dd can be repaired... it might behoove you to see if there is an Autopian in your area and have him detail it for you and show you the way to do it properly.

Having the PC and the proper products makes it a lot easier! :werd:

ptaylor_9849
04-21-2007, 07:25 AM
You should absolutely buy a PC. Since you are new to detailing you will need one to achieve awesome results. There are pros on this site that can do amazing things by hand but that`s because they have years of experience that you don`t. Therefore, a PC will give you better results than you would ever achieve by hand. However, that doesn`t mean that a PC will make your paint look like a 2007 on the showroom floor. The way I see it you have three options. First: buy a PC and some good polish like Menzerna. Then work that in with your PC as much as possible and see if you`re happy with the results. Second: take it to a highly praised professional in your area and let him strip it down for you. After he corrects the paint, you can maintain it from there with the PC that all of us told you to buy. Third: you could bring it to a pro and let him not only fix this problem, but maintain your car for you as well. I give you credit for all the hard work you did in that cold garage. Don`t get discouraged, do it again, just do it right this time. Most importantly, take the advice that is offered here. Detailing can be rewarding and theraputic when done correctly.

It also makes for a quick sale when you decide to trade or sell the car so it pays off in the end. Now I`m gonna say something that everybody here wanted to say but they were too chicken. "If you can afford a Porsche, you can afford a PC". There, I said it.

Patrick

jurichar
04-21-2007, 08:16 AM
"If you can afford a Porsche, you can afford a PC". There, I said it.

Patrick

i figured that would come up. Ok i`ll buy a pc ;).

After i get the pc should i just wash the car and start my polishing??? what is the best way to remove all the brand new klasse??

kleraudio
04-21-2007, 10:23 AM
the Polishing will get rid of all sealants and protectants on your paint. If you want, after you wash you can spray the car down with a 1:1 ratio of rubbing alcohol and water. Just spray it on and wipe it off. Since you just clayed there will probably be no need for that, just inspect the paint and spot clay if needed.

Here are some links that will get you everything you need to start polishing with your PC so you dont have to buy somehting from here, something from there, something from those guys, etc.... These are kits that have everything you need to get started.

First check out this video, it should prove very helpful to you...

Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/po.html)

Heres some kits:

Optimum Porter Cable 7424 Kit Remove swirl marks and paint flaws (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html)

- A very user friendly polishing system...

Poorboy’s Porter Cable 7424 Polish & wax Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit.html)

Four Star Polishing Package (http://www.danase.com/fostpopa.html)

Any of those will get you started and both of those vendors are a pleasure to work with.

I just dont believe you can fix that paint by hand, the PC will prove to be an invaluable investment.

Jim