PDA

View Full Version : boat detailing

Pages : [1] 2

imported_mirrorfinishman
04-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Currently working on cleaning, polishing and waxing a 30 ft Pro-Line. It is a relatively big job. Hey, it takes about five hours just to give it a thorough washing. Of course, along with all of the exterior, that also includes the storage compartments, fishwells, pilot area and interior cabin.

Anyone else doing any boat detailing this spring?

AMDin93103
04-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Anyone else doing any boat detailing this spring?

Too dirty. . . I don`t like grime under my nails ;)

I have looked into it but after determining what was involved, decided my company was better off focusing on certain vehicles. The company I refer boats to, sends me the aforementioned in turn. Every marine-enable household has at least two vehicles attached.

imported_rydawg
04-20-2007, 05:04 PM
I use to detail boats and all I can say it was a lot of work, especially the white powdered oxidized ones. If you can have the patience to detail boats then you can detail cars with ease. I personally rather detail black vettes with scratches all day over a 30` white boat.

A 30` boat is big and deep.

However bass boats are fun though.

I give you all the credit in the world to want to detail boats. Very good money though and tips are awesome too if you get the right customer. Any pics of the boat?

Seankf1105
04-20-2007, 05:10 PM
ive done 3 already... one 22 footer today, my bosses 18 footer fishing boat earlier this week, and a 20 footer a couple weeks ago

very beat right now and all i can say is i HATE gelcoats. both buffing them and waxing them is often a HUGE ***** :aww:

kingDavid76
04-20-2007, 05:47 PM
What kind of step, do you take of washing and detailing Boats? I have to do one too and a RV soon.

What polishes are the best ? and Can i use # 26 for wax?

Thanks

imported_mirrorfinishman
04-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Here are a few pictures of the Pro-Line that I am currently working on. This boat gets a complete detailing each spring before it goes in the water. Then it gets a dockside detailing about mid-summer. So basically, all of the upper area fiberglass gets polished and waxed at least twice a year.

The best polishes and waxes to use are those that are dedicated for boats. I really would not recommend using any car products. Also, I am not a fan of using carnauba wax(such as #26) on fiberglass. For a last step protection, I perfer a polymer product, such as; Meguiar`s Flagship Sealant. It is very easy to use and provides a good protection.

The steps involved in washing and detailing boats are much the same as with vehicles. You can figure that just about everything the owner would clean, polish and wax themselves, gets taken care of, including all of the exterior, interior fiberglass and all of the brightwork. Oh yea, the brightwork is the one exception when it comes to using carnauba wax. Once you get the railings and any other chrome and stainless steel cleaned, it is imperative that it then gets a top coat of carnauba wax. The carnauba goes on rather clear and does not leave behind any white residue. And carnauba helps protect the metal much longer than just using a metal polish. The vinyl upholstery and windows also get cleaned. Hey, I even polish and wax the stainless steel propellers. When you figure the cost of those props, it only makes sense to take care of that little detail. And you can bet that most boat owners notice things like that. That is the difference between cleaning a boat and detailing a boat.

Of course, when you consider all of the environmental factor constantly affecting boats, it is a good idea to apply protective products as often as possible. Almost all of the boats I take care of usually get done twice a season. Some even more than that.

Seankf1105
04-20-2007, 09:57 PM
holy crap how long does a job of that size take? :eek:

was it relatively clean when you started?

kingDavid76
04-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Thank You Mirror FinishDetailing

Can you use clay bars on Fiberglass? Or they dont need it.?

So can i still use #26 on the stainless Steels? Or what do you recommend.

imported_mirrorfinishman
04-23-2007, 06:20 PM
When it comes to cleaning, polishing and waxing most smaller boats, you can usually work at a pace of about two feet per hour. For example, a 20 ft boat would take about 10 hours to complete, while a 24 ft boat would require about 12 hours.

The 30 ft Pro-Line that I am currently working on takes about 19 hours. That works out to about two and one half days of work. Five hours just for washing and another two 7 hour days for polishing, waxing and everything else. The owner of this boat takes very good care of it during the season and since I also do a dockside detailing in the middle of the summer, so it is relatively clean when I get started.

I am not too sure about using clay on the fiberglass, especially when you think about the total surface areas of some of these big boats. Probably go thru a heck of a lot of clay. What I would recommend are many of the heavy duty cleaners and polishes that are made specifically for fiberglass gelcoats. These products are designed to cut through either mild or severe surface oxidation. They would be the best way to go as far as cleaning and preparing the fiberglass for a top coat of polymer sealant.

Either the #26 Yellow Wax or most other carnaubas work very well as a final coat of protection once the stainless (or chrome) has been pre-cleaned. The additional layer of wax will guard against stains and rust residue.

I`ve got one more day of work on the Pro-Line as I will be finishing it up on Tuesday. I am planning to take a few more pictures just to give you a better idea of what is involved with detailing something this large. Although it may at first appear to be a bit overwhelming, you just have to break it down into sections and then allow a given amount of time to complete each task.

I always take a few minutes to walk around the boat when I get done. I do that as a final quality inspection, but I also enjoy checking out the finished product. Hey, boats can be a lot of work but they are very rewarding when you consider the difference in the overall appearance of the boat from start to finish.

GlossyTundra
04-23-2007, 06:34 PM
I have detailed about 6-7 boats, and they are a PITA. I can make decently new ones look great, and rough looking ones look better (not perfect). I do have one on a regular routine that keeps it clean every month, but all I have to do is ONR and wax it, so it`s not that bad.

I would rather clean a car, but that`s just me.

kingDavid76
04-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Thank you Frank for your input.

If i get the job, I will try to put up pictures.

imported_mirrorfinishman
04-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Finally finished this boat. Here are a few more pictures.

SShine
05-20-2007, 01:43 PM
I do alot of boat detailing. Boats are ALOT of work, but great $$$$. Black and dark blue boats are a pain when they are oxidized, its near impossible to get them perfect again. here is a boat I finished today, I do his boat every 3 months now. this is my 2nd time on it, when I 1st did it, it was really neglected. the thing with dark boats is, they will look flawless once you compound/polish it, but once you put wax on it, any spot that has oxidation, the wax will stick to it and youll have re-polish that area then re-wax. it is very fustrating.

It takes me ~2 days to do this boat and I charge him $800, which is a bargain for him.

Brian_Brice
05-20-2007, 06:02 PM
nice craft there mfm, i use to do one steps (that didn`t alter the gel much) for a marina, i did a full job on a 30 footer w/stabbin cabbin a month ago, i don`t plan on doing anymore. such a pita just holding the makita all day. i don`t think i charged enough or else id be doing more of them.

hondaguy2582
05-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Best polishes to use on gelcoat are 3ms products(especially 3m finesse it 2). For waxing, nothing beats the longevity of collinite fleetwax in the paste!!!!!