PDA

View Full Version : Need help with using PC and Edge pads

PeteST
04-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Hello again, everyone.

I finally received all my detailing gear and tomorrow will be my very first attempt at using the PC 7424 on my brand new car (2007 Toyota Prius). I`m definitely nervous about using a machine polisher on such a beautiful, and what appears to be pristine, paint. I will be applying Jeffs Werkstatt Prime (w/ the PC), followed by a hand application of AJT.

My questions are:

1. Which color Edge pad should I use to apply Prime? I have the 6" Edge DA pads. I`m thinking the very finest pad grade (White) would be appropriate since my car is so new. However, would Blue be a better choice?

2. When applying Prime (or any product), do you simply put a small dab on the pad or do you queeze the product and spread it onto the pad in the form of a circle?

3. What speed setting should I use to apply and work-in/break-down Prime?

4. How long should it take for the PC to break-down Prime? Is there an obvious way to tell once you have reached this point with the PC?

I appreciate any feedback you can share and wish me luck!! :nervous2:

Thanks,

Pete

ZeroDfx
04-20-2007, 01:02 PM
First off, I appreciate your anxiety using the PC for the first time, but you need not worry. You won`t hurt the finish unless you turn the PC upside down and bang it against your car like a hammer; the pad will just make your work easier.

I am not familiar enough with Prime and AJT to help you with that, so I will leave that to others who have used it to coach you re speeds etc. Although if it`s anything like KAIO and KSG, the process will be straight-forward and you`ll be very pleased with the results.

Have fun.

PeteST
04-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks, Z. Hopefully, others will chime in with their thoughts. If there`s one question I`d really like to get answered before I start, it is which Edge pad to use for applying Prime. White or Blue?

Pete

coupe
04-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Hello again, everyone.

I finally received all my detailing gear and tomorrow will be my very first attempt at using the PC 7424 on my brand new car (2007 Toyota Prius). I`m definitely nervous about using a machine polisher on such a beautiful, and what appears to be pristine, paint. I will be applying Jeffs Werkstatt Prime (w/ the PC), followed by a hand application of AJT.

My questions are:

1. Which color Edge pad should I use to apply Prime? I have the 6" Edge DA pads. I`m thinking the very finest pad grade (White) would be appropriate since my car is so new. However, would Blue be a better choice?

2. When applying Prime (or any product), do you simply put a small dab on the pad or do you queeze the product and spread it onto the pad in the form of a circle?

3. What speed setting should I use to apply and work-in/break-down Prime?

4. How long should it take for the PC to break-down Prime? Is there an obvious way to tell once you have reached this point with the PC?

I appreciate any feedback you can share and wish me luck!! :nervous2:

Thanks,

Pete

1. Blue

2. Personaly prefferance

3. 3, you dont break it down

4. you dont break it down

PeteST
04-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Thank you, Coupe. I appreciate the suggestions.

stiffdogg06
04-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Actually Prime does polish lightly... JEFFS Werkstatt: the finest in automotive detailing wax and sealants (http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/prime.php)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Directions for applying Prime directly from Jeff.

DIRECTIONS

1. PREPARE: Surface should be clean and preferably cool.

2. APPLY: By hand or random orbital polisher, gently rub into surface with quality foam or microfiber pad. For best results, work Prime into the surface until it just begins to dry.

3. WAIT: Allow surface to cure to a haze for 30 minutes.

4. REMOVE: Wipe off residue with quality microfiber towel.

An E-Mail response from Jeff.

JEFFS Werkstatt <admin@JEFFSwerkstatt.com> wrote:

Hi Andy,

For Prime, we often use a random orbital polisher for application, with a finishing or light polishing foam pad. It does save time and also maximizes the cleaning and prepping functions of the formula. Work it into the surface usually on speed 4-5 until it begins to clear out. The aim is to leave as little residue on the surface as possible. But, you don`t want to dry buff it either. Sometimes, a very light spritz of water on the pad before beginning can help. The aim is to leave very little residue that then needs to be buffed clear. Temperature, humidity, and technique will also determine a TIME for Prime to be worked in.

So, it really comes down to how comfortable you are with the machine. The formulas work great by hand but can also work well by machine--particularly Prime--if applied with a bit of proficiency.

Best of luck, and if you have any other questions after trying things out on the first go, just email us.

Happy Detailing!

Werkstatt Customer Service

Also the way to apply AJT is @ JEFFS Werkstatt: the finest in automotive detailing wax and sealants (http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/acrylic-jett.php)

Directions:

1. PREPARE: Surface should be cool, clean, and well prepped.

2. APPLY: By hand with a quality microfiber or foam pad, spread a thin coat onto the surface. (Because Jett contains only transparent protective ingredients, you do not need to apply a visually thick coat. Thinner is better.)

3. WAIT: Allow surface to dry to a haze. (This does not take long. Typically, after applying to one body panel, the product should be buffed off before moving to the next panel.)

4. REMOVE: Buff off residue with quality microfiber towel.

PeteST
04-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks, Andy. I also received some great advice from Jeff, regarding Prime & AJT. I`m quite impressed on how quick and thorough their replies have been. The only "uncertain" was which Edge pad to use for Prime, since the crew at Werkstatt has not personally used Edge pads. However, it sounds like I really can`t go wrong with either Blue or White.

Again, thanks to everyone for the feedback. It`s almost time to take the PC for it`s first spin!

stiffdogg06
04-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I love his fast, and thorough responses to everything. I also love his personal letters in his shipment. Very classy and original!

Good luck on your first PC usage.:waxing:

Please post pictures when complete. Always love to see the outcomes.:shocked