PDA

View Full Version : Is Poorboys really that bad? Also have some newb questions.

IROC-Z
04-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, new to the forum. I`ve been reading a lot here trying to educate myself. I have a black 1988 IROC-Z Camaro. It has been repainted and wetsanded (a while ago). On a scale from 0 (no swirls) to 10 (horrible swirls), Id give it a 2 in some areas, and maybe a 2.5 or 3 on the hood. It also has a few very hair line scratches (can`t feel them with your nail).

After a lot of reading, I came up with this:

-Poorboys 2.5 on a orange pad.

-Poorboys 1 on a white pad

-RMG on a black pad

-And top that with Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

I`ve read some posts here about how it dusts really bad. That really doesn`t bother me as much as I hear people saying it puts defects and craters in the paint? Is this true? If so, does anyone have any suggestion on another swirl remover/polish?

Thanks!

imported_Blake
04-20-2007, 11:57 AM
No craters in the paint for me nor did I find excessive dusting. To be honest if you are rated so low on the scale you suggest I don`t think you need the 2.5. SSR #1 and RMG should take out minor defects. I found both 2.5 and #1 very easy to work. You use it in fairly thin layers and it breaks down nicely. I would think the dusting comes from using too much. My experience with these products has been very good but there are many good polishes on the market.

No craters in my paint.

bjackson8
04-20-2007, 11:59 AM
The SSR polishes are good polishes and will give you good results. It is true that they will dust a bit, but I have never really had a big problem with dusting. SSR 2.5 has been a "go to" product for me for quite a while. I don`t really use SSR1 very much, because I think Optimum polish is more versitile for that purpose.

As with any product, different people have different preferences. Some like SSR, some dont.

RyanDe680
04-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Each time I have used SSR1 or SSR2.5 it has dusted on me. I don`t mind the dusting so much but at times, it is excessive.

They do break down well though. I think the craters that you might be referring too could be formed when the polish is `too` brooken down, thus hardening some of the polish/compound on to the surface. I have not experienced this.

If your scratches and swirls are only a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, you don`t need SSR2.5. I would stick with something like OP or perhaps even PO106ff to get a nice shine and remove defects.

Possibly even try an IP/RMG mix and that might solve your problems in one step.

As much as I do love Souveran, the durability on it is not as long as I would like. None-the-less, it does achieve an awesome shine.

chutney
04-20-2007, 12:05 PM
I have used the SSR`s with good result. You can`t go wrong with them. They dust a bit but then you also know you have polished long enough.

IROC-Z
04-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. So do you guys think I should just use SSR1 or use the OP? Also which pad, white or orange?

orngez
04-20-2007, 01:54 PM
start with the white pad and ssr1...step up to the orange pad only if this doesnt get the level of correction you desire

travisdecpn
04-20-2007, 02:07 PM
No craters for me as well, I am at a loss as to what these people are thinking (not the above posters, but the ones who complain about craters). Poorboy`s has a good line of polishes that have worked well for me on a number of vehicles.

IROC-Z
04-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Wow, you guys are great. Thanks for the quick replies! If anyone cares, here is a nice picture of the wetsanded paint job: :)

http://members.aol.com/ir0czcamaro/108-0858_IMG.jpg

That`s NXT topped with 3 layers of CMW.

CalgaryDetail
04-20-2007, 02:31 PM
i find them to be ok. They are better then alot of brands, i like them more then megs or mothers. They are relivlty cheap and will do the job.

I find that there are better products on the market, but having said that i have fun playinig with "luxury" products, its a hobby of mine. So price wise they are really good

Way2SSlow
04-20-2007, 03:08 PM
SSR2.5 will dust a bit for you. If you use the proper amount it`s not an insane amount of dust. I dont use the SSRs on rotary though. If the dust bothers you, I`d say check out the Optimum line. Again, dust is a bit of a PITA; however, I`ve used the SSR line for a few years and never thought the amount of dust was crazy.