PDA

View Full Version : What should I do next?

06vrss
04-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Last weekend I started my spring detailing project on my 06 SS Cobalt. The paint is in very good condition other than some spiderwebbing and marring due to senseless washing before my "autopian" days. My arsenal is small in the area of abrasive polishes so i tried some #9 on a white pad. It definantly helped but some of the scratches are still visible. So my question is what product/pad combo do you guys think i should go with next that would be one step up from #9? I was thinkin XMT 1 or 2. I was also thinking of switching to an orange pad but seeing as that #9 is fairly mild i thought that it would be pointless to switch to a more aggresive pad without changing product. Anyways, if you guys have any input i would appreciate it.

06vrss
04-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Wow, no replies.

the other pc
04-20-2007, 06:25 PM
I assume you’re using a PC.

#9 is isn’t “fairly mild,†it’s really, really mild. I would step it up at least to #80, possibly #83 or #2, depending on your paint and the scratches.

PC.

06vrss
04-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Should I be using a white or orange pad? I`ll probably start with white then switch to orange if it doesnt work.

sevenrd
04-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Tough to say without pictures.

Perhaps you could try some OP. I`ve found it to be very versatile in that it`s pretty pad dependent. Before I bought OC and OHC, I was able to remove some pretty bad marring with OP on a yellow pad, then finished up with OP on a white pad. That was via rotary, but I think the PC should give similar results.

Here`s the car: http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/84087-2001-bmw-740i-black.html

stiffdogg06
04-20-2007, 11:40 PM
yeah always start with the less aggressive pad unless you know FOR SURE you need an aggressive pad...

Post pictures when you get done! :2thumbs:

Accumulator
04-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Should I be using a white or orange pad? I`ll probably start with white then switch to orange if it doesnt work.

If you`re using the #80 then stick with the white pad. The orange pad is IMO better suited to more aggressive products like the #83 or (new version of) #2.

Using a mild product on an aggressive pad just hasn`t worked out well for me (noting that OP is a kinda special case, very pad-dependant with regard to its aggressiveness).

06vrss
04-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a plan. However, the XMT lineup has caught my eye for some reason. I dont really have any experience with any of their products. Have any of you guys used the XMT 1, 2, or 3?