PDA

View Full Version : Scratch removal from unpainted exterior plastic

d33t3r
04-19-2007, 12:39 PM
I recently removed the front plate adapter from my mkV GTI, which was drilled through the unpainted black plastic section of the grille. After it finally came off (lots of careful hammering involved... it was installed with plastic barbs), I saw that it left circular scratch marks on the plastic surrounding the drill holes. Question is, what can I use to remove these scratches? I`ll try to get some pictures posted later today if I get the time. The plastic is very shiny and smooth despite the fact that it is not painted; it`s definitely not the same as your typical "body cladding" plastic.

Thanks for any help, and sorry if it`s already been discussed. I searched and didn`t see anything quite the same. Oh, and I have bumper plugs on order to fill in the drill holes. :2thumbs:

audicoupej
04-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I recently removed the front plate adapter from my mkV GTI, which was drilled through the unpainted black plastic section of the grille. After it finally came off (lots of careful hammering involved... it was installed with plastic barbs), I saw that it left circular scratch marks on the plastic surrounding the drill holes. Question is, what can I use to remove these scratches? I`ll try to get some pictures posted later today if I get the time. The plastic is very shiny and smooth despite the fact that it is not painted; it`s definitely not the same as your typical "body cladding" plastic.

Thanks for any help, and sorry if it`s already been discussed. I searched and didn`t see anything quite the same. Oh, and I have bumper plugs on order to fill in the drill holes. :2thumbs:

Treat it like paint and polish it. You can also order a new grill, or look for one on vwvortex.