PDA

View Full Version : help! little bit of gas on car

asm505
04-19-2007, 07:13 AM
I was on my way to work and stopped to get gas. As I took the nozzle out a drop of gas got on my car. I used a towel I had in the car to wipe it off but I don`t know what else to do - since I am not at home. Any good ideas or can I wait till I get home. I did use a wet towel to wipe the area down when I got to work. I know it isn`t the best idea to do under normal circumstances but I figured it was the best idea for right now.

R-Auto
04-19-2007, 07:23 AM
The same thing happend to me the other day. Lucky for me, I had a QD bottle in my car as I was on my way to a photoshoot. I wiped the fuel and sprayed the area and wiped it clean. I`m pretty sure the only thing that might have been slightly damaged from the fuel was the microfiber towel. I think you did the right thing with the products you had at the time.

The lesson I`ve learned from this experience is that after filling the car with fuel, you should not pull the trigger again as that may leak some drops of fuel when you take it out of the fuel tank and drip on your paint and potentially damaging it.

To sum up if I were you I`d Quick Detail it (if possible) until I get home and inspect the area.

velobard
04-19-2007, 07:40 AM
The gas shouldn`t hurt your paint at all, they realize it will be exposed to this sort of thing when they formulated it. The only thing you need to worry about is that it will strip off any LSP you have on the paint.

jtford95
04-19-2007, 10:11 AM
As long as you wiped it off with water you`re fine. When you get home, reclean the area then wax it. Joe

Zet
04-19-2007, 10:29 AM
You don`t need to use water, as water and gas don`t mix. Just wipe off/blot with a dry cloth trying to not cause scratches, the rest will evaporate in a few seconds. As said above it won`t harm the paint, but will remove any protection and leave the paint exposed, just rewax when you get the chance.

mikelea4ever
04-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Hey just relax, it`s not like it will harm your car or its paint. Just use QD!!!!:work:

mikebai1990
04-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Yea, just rewax when you get the chance. To prevent this from happening, I usually shake the nozzle a bit while it`s in the tank to "shake" out the leftover gasoline. When I take it out, I immediately tilt it vertically to prevent dripping onto the car.

BlueLibby04
04-19-2007, 04:25 PM
yea, it should be fine but it probably took all the wax off. Just be sure to put some wax back on the area. Ive had it overflow and cover the entire side of my Jeep. Talked about PO`ed!

BMW335i
04-19-2007, 04:41 PM
A drop of gas? Cmon man...