PDA

View Full Version : Collinite`s Durability?

Mugen_Tech
04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
I`d recently purchased a bottle of Collinite #845 Insulator Wax to wax my Acura with. Collinite claims that it`s so durable that it will give "5 months of protection, and incredible water-beading, even on non-garaged vehicles" according to Auto-Geek`s summary on this product. Has anyone used this product and could vouch for that statement? I`m getting ready to wax with it tomorrow.

Also, quick question: I read somewhere a while back that the outside temperature when waxing should be above 50 degrees. It that true?

awahl63
04-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Don`t know about 5 months but it is very durable...More along the lines of 3-4

Hey, Moe!
04-18-2007, 12:17 PM
+1 on the 3-4 months. I did mine with 845 in January, and it`s still hanging on as I wait for a nice day and the spring detail.

Grimm
04-18-2007, 12:19 PM
It`s been said that beading doesn`t necessarily mean the wax is still there, but that being said, I had Collinite on for five months since early October and still had some decent beading a few weeks ago when I started polishing. Based on how the paint felt the couple times I washed it this winter, I`m confident you will get at least 3-4 months out of it.

3puttjay
04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
I have used it on my cars and 5 months is about right. My cars sit outside 24/7 and they get washed every other week. Collinite 845 is great to work with, remember to use very little. It`s a pain to get off if you apply a thick coat. I`ve used it in temperatures right around 45, but keep your bottle in a bucket of hot tap water and you should be fine. Apply 2 thin coats and you should be fine for 6 months. Beading is what it is known for and sure is nice to see it in person. Good luck with it, if you apply wax to parts you didn`t intend, no biggie, it doesn`t stain trim and comes right off with a wipe.

Mugen_Tech
04-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Wow, thanks you guys. Quite helpful as always. I look foward to trying it out for the first time tomorrow. ^^

xhaust50
04-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Applied Nov. 15, still beading well and has good slickness today, which is 5 winter months. It`s also seen plenty of road salt, but I don`t ever use the auto car wash so maybe that evens out.

rkf76
04-18-2007, 07:56 PM
I may have to try this Collinite stuff

proudpoppa
04-18-2007, 08:15 PM
i applied in mid to late october and its still beading like a champ though the slickness has diminished. Lots of salt round here in winter too. Great stuff if you ask me.

Krodad
04-18-2007, 08:23 PM
I did a test over the winter, and I`d have to say the Collinite is holding up MUCH better than even my beloved Duragloss. And that is saying a lot, IMO.

Cheetah
04-18-2007, 09:47 PM
I used collinite 845 for the first time 3 weeks ago. Usually with waxes you can tell after a week or 2 that it loses a just little bit of the shine. So far the 845 has lost absolutely nothing.

Amazing.

RCBuddha
04-18-2007, 09:54 PM
3 solid months for me, on a DD that sits out 24/7.

thejaredhuang
04-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Ditto on the 3+ months. I clay every 3 or 4 months so I can`t test the durability beyond that. From what I`ve experienced, it will hit 5 months pretty easily.

My car: un-garaged DD with washings every 2 or 3 weeks.

imported_Neothin
04-18-2007, 11:49 PM
i have no doubt in my mind that it lasts 5 months.

last time i waxed was in early december(aio topped with 845). Before rewaxing last week for a show, the car still beaded water.

props to IW :)

Accumulator
04-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Claying doesn`t compromise my Collinite, but then I clay *very* gently most of the time.

The 845 on the Blazer made it through winter with the exception of the black plastic pieces on the rear hatch. The 845 on the front end (where I`m comparing pre/post VOC versions) is still fine. Last coat went on in early September. It`s not beading as well/feeling as slick as the rest of the vehicle (which has 476S on it) but it still doesn`t need redone.

But note that the Blazer is garaged and I use a leaves-stuff-behind QD after every wash, which I`d expect to provide an additional sacrificial layer.