PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you mix ScottWax with Opti-Seal???

Pages : [1] 2

brig2221
04-16-2007, 06:46 PM
What happens when you mix ScottWax with Opti-Seal, why these beautiful pictures of course!

I wanted to thank ScottWax for the wonderful detail he did on my car. I tried to do some initial polishing on my own when I first got the car and only managed to make it worse. I had to call in a pro to do the job right. If anyone here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area is looking for a car detail, I would highly recommend him.

I also know that there are a lot of people wanting to see some results of the newly released Opti-Seal product from Optimum. The following pics are of my car after Scott buffed out my mistakes and finished off with Opti-Seal:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/brig2221/DSC00082.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/brig2221/DSC00081.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/brig2221/DSC00080.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/brig2221/DSC00079.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/brig2221/DSC00078.jpg

Bigpoppa3346
04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Paint looks very wet, and I`m sure Scott did a great job.

Strokin04
04-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Scottwax has yet another happy customer, your car looks really good and the opti-seal compliments your car well. Mike...

Old Pirate
04-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Great shine on your honda. The opti-seal is so wet on the car, scott did a super job!!!!!!! can`t wait for my opti-seal to come!!!!!:2thumbs:

euro
04-16-2007, 08:00 PM
That looks right on the money to me...tires, wells, paint, glass...Good one Scott! :2thumbs:

DetailsByDennis
04-16-2007, 08:07 PM
That looks great :)

Way to go Scott!

xinkid
04-16-2007, 08:25 PM
very clear and deep!

RTexasF
04-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Perfection is pretty tough to beat!

brig2221
04-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I think the highlight of my evening besides seeing my pride and joy buffed to a beautiful luster was my wife`s reaction. I have the new car/detail bug and have been on these forums, buying products left and right, constantly washing my car, etc. Well, all of that basically annoys her that I take this to the degree that I do. I`m sure a lot of you can relate.

Well, she got home about an hour after Scott had finished and couldn`t believe the results herself. She even called her parents to tell them. Anyhow, I can sleep well tonight knowing that my black beauty is finally in the condition it deserves :)

2StepsAhead
04-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Good god thats clean..the tires, trim, windows...looks like its been sitting in a show room floor.

DaGonz
04-16-2007, 10:42 PM
I don`t know.. in the second pic, the hood looks a "little cloudy"...

Just kidding...it`s another great reflection of Scott`s work! :spot

awahl63
04-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Perfectly done.

imported_DieselMDX
04-16-2007, 10:47 PM
nice job scott!

BigAl3
04-16-2007, 10:54 PM
looks great, couldn`t of picked a better person to do the job :xyxthumbs

Scottwax
04-17-2007, 12:27 AM
:wavey Hi Eric! Glad you are happy with your car.

I tell you, this was a tough one. I had done it initially last week. Eric has used Klasse AIO and S100 on it and there was some fingertip marring. Usually a piece of cake to take care of, so I did a test section in the sun using Optimum Polish and green Edge Cyclo polishing pads. Seemed to do a very good job on the light halo swirls and the marring. After a couple of panels though, I noticed OP was hazing and gumming up on my pads and the paint. I flipped the pads and after a few more panels and the hood, same deal. I didn`t have any more green pads dedicated to OP so I switched to my PC and white LC polishing pads and same deal. :think: I then went with Poorboy`s Polish w/sealant to clean up the paint a bit more and that seemed to work okay, based on the available lighting and then pulling it into the garage and using those lights. I finished with Opti-Seal.

The next day, Eric calls me and says there is some hazing on the hood and some polish build-up on the trim-which is unusual because I haven`t had a problem with OP on trim in the past. We set aside a time for the next day for me to come out and correct the issues but heavy storms blew in that afternoon and we decided to wait until this Monday (today).

I figured the polish gumming up was probably due to a very thick coat of wax that I didn`t fully cut through, so my son washed the car with ONR with about 16 oz of Isopropal alcohol mixed in and I followed with a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol. That should take care of anything on the paint, right? First indication it didn`t was the paint still felt somewhat slick. Next indication was when I first started off using Zaino Z-PC (which I used earlier in the day on a black Escalade and it worked flawlessly) and it almost immediately started gumming up on the paint. :wall I then switch to Clearkote`s Blue Moose Cutting Creme, since that stuff pretty much eats oxidation...and damn, that started gumming up badly as well (both products used with green Edge Cyclo polishing pads). At this point I was pretty stumped. Something had to be on the paint and if I could just get though it, I could get pretty much full correction.

I then tried Meguiars #83 DACP and again using Edge green Cyclo pads. What a difference! No gumming at all and it wiped off easily. I then followed that section using #80 Speed Glaze via PC using a white LC polishing pad. Success! Where Optimum Polish, Zaino Z-PC and Clearkote`s Blue Moose kept gumming up, #83 did the trick. Why? I have no idea, maybe the trade secret oils? :nixweiss

I went over the other half of the hood just with #80 and the PC/white pad combo and it corrected the remaining light swirls/haze from the first polishing attempt and at no point did it gum up on me. I followed with Optimum Poli-Seal using a white LC CCS polishing pad, sealed with Opti-Seal and finished with Werkstatt`s Acrylic Glos to remove some light dusting and a couple minor streaks in the hood.

It was a long ordeal but worth it in the end to have the car finish out as nicely as it did. I still want to see if I can figure out two things:

1. What was on the paint that was causing the polishes to gum up so badly.

2. Why Meguiars 80 series polishes worked when the others didn`t.