PDA

View Full Version : thinking about starting up a business

Bobbykart
04-15-2007, 04:38 PM
after 20 years of doin my own vehicles, corvette, jag, pantera. I thought I might give this a part time crack, my friend is restoring a mercedes and I said I would do a detail when it is done, Im in San Diego, Any suggestions on how much to charge for interior and polish, wheels and wax? any input would be greatly appreciated!

todd@bsaw
04-15-2007, 08:06 PM
If you plan on making detailing your business (full time or part time) you better be able to sell yourself, not just the detailing. A large part of the business is your attitude and confidence in yourself.

As for pricing, try not to cheapen your service by charging too low. I typically start an estimate at an even $200 for a full detail (excluding compounding with the high speed) and go up or down depending on the specific services I`m performing and the severity of the detail. If you cut too many deals or charge too little then it makes your practiced skill seem as a cheap-o alternative to a full professional job.

I have no problems turning away from possible clients that scoff at my pricing because in the long run those are clients that I don`t want. Some of them even come back to me to correct a bad job done by the `cheap-o alternative` and I give them no slack on my pricing.

Also remember that detailing is often a service typically for the higher income ranges, let aside your car enthusiasts, whose most important value is the quality of the work and not the money they have to shell out for a service that saves them valuable time.

I took this business on with the attitude of a business man and the joy of an enthusiast. If you want to detail as a business, make it your business. If you just want to do it for fun, then just make it fun and don`t worry about the business part.

There`s a little more than $.02 for ya.

Bobbykart
04-15-2007, 10:14 PM
I like your .02$, thanks Todd!!

imported_mirrorfinishman
04-16-2007, 07:44 AM
You may want to consider it more from the viewpoint of how much you think people will be willing to pay for your detailing services. Attract the right client and you will have no problem making what you want. Try to figure out the market you intend to go after and then base your prices on your business costs and the hourly rate you need to make in order to serve that market.

BobD
04-16-2007, 08:10 AM
This is an ongoing debate on what the proper fee is to charge. In my eyes there are two types of professional detailers.

One, the detailer you focuses on quantity. Maybe he slaps on some one step product or some glaze and calls it a day.

Two, the detailer who focuses on perfection and removing imperfections over covering them up with an oily glaze.

However, who is right and who is wrong? In my eyes, both are right. When the average Joe brings a car in for a detail they just want something clean and shiny in return. They want to go to that detail shop that has a big bright hand made sign that says "Full detail $99.95!" And then you have the customer who wants all of the swirls removed and wants more time and effort put into their vehicle. The first shop might detail 10 cars in a day but the second shop only does two. However they are both making the same. Personally, I would rather see more of the second type of shops around.

Anyway, on what to charge....

For starters I recommend anyone getting into this field to A) legally start up a business. B)Get insurance for the business. I know it sounds like a lot but when people see that you are insured they will feel much better about leaving you a $100,000 vehicle to work on. C) Take the steps to really learn about all of the different types of chemicals and how they work and what they work on. The more professional you are the more people will come and the more you will be able to charge. I feel everyone should be shooting for a $50-$70 per hour of work. It is a service you are offering. Look at this as a skilled trade and look what mechanics and such charge per hour.

Hope this helps a little.

LeadingEdgeDetail
04-16-2007, 10:13 AM
$50/h.

If you`re doing a quick detail for the 99.95 customers, take 2 hours, wash, vac, clean windows, wax, clean wheels, dress everything.

If you`re doing a full detail, charge $200 and take 4 hours to polish, wax, vac, clean, and dress everything.

If they want perfection, charge $300 and take 6 hours to cutpolish, polish, wax, vac, clean, and dress everything.

Seems simple enough :)

Bobbykart
04-16-2007, 04:02 PM
thanks mirror finish, stumpy and denase, how would I go about learning about the

products and chemicals?

LeadingEdgeDetail
04-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Try them out :)

Find some professional detail supply companies, and see what all their products do.

Memorize at least 10 different lines of polishes, glazes, waxes, and compounds. Pick your favorite 3 or 4, and order a different kind of each, one polish, one glaze, wax, and compound... Do some details for friends for nearly free, take your time, test.

Then when they get about half way empty, buy a different brand of each version, and repeat... You can start charging full prices when you`re turning out professional results every time without spending 12 hours :)

For interiors, get very proficient with a vaccum, terry towels, microfiber, and spray carpet cleaner... Get a Bissel Little Green Machine, with heat. Then you can sort-of extract carpets... Until you can get one of those $700 ones!

Practice lots, you need a lot of experience and "references" to detail for money. And legal issues should be top priority as well. As soon as it turns from practice on friends to making business cards/flyers, licenses are needed.

Bobbykart
04-17-2007, 10:09 PM
thanks for tho intel again Stumpy!!

BobD
04-18-2007, 06:40 AM
thanks mirror finish, stumpy and denase, how would I go about learning about the

products and chemicals?

Spend a few weeks surfing these forums and you should learn a whole lot. :)

LeadingEdgeDetail
04-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Yup... I`ve been detailing for 6 years, and I`ve learned everything from this board and practice :)

imported_ajbarnes
04-20-2007, 04:56 AM
I really can`t add more. Some really good advice has already been given. :2thumbs:

Now this is what I like to see -- Someone new who wants to get started in the business, asks for some info on how to get started, and then gets some unintimidating, uncritical, and simple advice on how to get started properly. It`s good to see some people can put aside arrogance and testerone and show other`s how they`ve managed to get where they are.

Changeling
04-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Use a written contract for all details describing everything, if you don`t, eventually you will be sued!

Changeling

RAG
04-25-2007, 09:47 AM
San Diego is a good market - the only disadvantage is that nearly all the vehicles you will encounter will have HEAVY rust contamination requiring a lot of clay time. Very few other detailers in the country encounter this problem. BUT, there are tons of people with nice cars and money.

Start off part time, as it will take you a long time to get rolling.

Good luck.

Ryan Gelardi

Magic Mobile Detailing