PDA

View Full Version : Audi allroad Hood

jhladousa
04-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi All -

I just purchased a 2004 Audi allroad (light silver) yesterday and upong getting it home I started my detail of the vehicle. The car is in good shape (no scratches, swirls, etc) however it was apparent that it had not bee cleaned or waxed for some time as the paint felt very dull and was not lustrous.

I started with clay, then GEPC, one coat of AIO followed by one coat of KSG. The entire car looks great and feels smooth except for the hood. Its reflection and luster seems to match the rest of the car however it still feels a bit dull to the touch, not nearly as smooth as the rest of the car.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Jesse

Accumulator
04-15-2007, 11:04 AM
jhladousa- Welcome to Autopia!

While the hood of a car is generally subjected to a lot (it`s near the front so it gets stone chips, it`s over the engine so it gets engine heat, etc.), the AllRoad is very well insulated so I don`t expect any weird issues with one exception: it`s entirely possible that the hood was repainted at some point; it could simply be different from the rest of the car.

At any rate, I`d try claying it again and using some polish with a bit more oomph than the P21s GEPC, with is awfully mild stuff to use on an Audi of that vintage. I`m not sure just what to recommend as the products I use before Klasse are discontinued and getting hard to find, but you might even do OK just using that P21S GEPC a few times. Otherwise, I guess I`d lean towards some mildly abrasive polish from Menzerna or Optimum. OTC products like Meguiar`s Scratch-X would, IMO, be too mild for the Audi clear.

jhladousa
04-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Great - thanks for the tips!

Accumulator
04-15-2007, 12:43 PM
If you continue to have trouble with it, post back so we can try to figure something out.

I`d see if you can figure out if it *was* repainted. Besides stuff like color-match and uniform orangepeel, see if there are any clues on the areas where the hood fits against the front fenders...hard to explain...you open the hood and there are flanges that go down beside the fenders. Sometimes there`ll be overspray/tape lines there depending on how good the shop was. Maybe they had the hood off...see if the corners of the hinges` bolts have the paint chipped off- if so, does it look like a years-old factory thing or more recent? Sometimes once you start looking for stuff like this you have an "Ahah!" moment and suddenly notice something that never caught your eye before.