PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Swirls

noooorb
04-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Hey guys I (finally) got rid of the the swirls on my silver satin metallic RSX 2 weeks ago (even those that were visible under direct sunlight). I sealed the car off with Poorboy`s EX.

But tonight I parked under a street lamp and I could already see light swirls. What gives? Should I be using more than one layer? Should I switch to using wax?

I don`t want to be machine polishing every month.... :sadpace:

thesacrifice
04-12-2007, 12:38 AM
A few thoughts

It is possible that the marring is actually to your layer of EX

It is possible that you thought you %100 eliminated marring but did not. Different light sources at different times of the day at different angles etc yield different results

It is possible that your washing or drying technique could use some modifcation or something as simple as getting a small grain of dirt on your drying towel occurred.

Waxing more or using a different product won`t prevent swirling

imported_Neothin
04-12-2007, 12:42 AM
but using a different product will conceal those light swirls...

glazes, carnaubas, etc etc etc tend to fill in the light swirls giving the illusion of a swirl free finish without having to resort to permanently removing paint.

Accumulator
04-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Consider how the marring occurs:

Something that`s more harder than the paint (i.e., "abrasive") got pressed against the paint and was then moved *across* the paint.

If you stop pressing hard stuff against the paint and *moving* that stuff under pressure you won`t get the marring. Simple concept, not so simple to realize ;)

[insert Accumulator`s usual foamgun lecture here ;) ]

But I agree that it`s *VERY* possible that you just didn`t see the marring when you thought it was perfect. With silver, I can *literally* spend as much time inspecting as I do polishing, and I don`t mean just ten minutes at a time. I have to *really* play around with different light/illumination and viewing angles/etc. to see my paint`s true condition; I used to always have those unpleasant surprises at night under certain lights. Find a way to see the marring now, in the place where you do your detailing. Eliminate it once more, and then it`s a matter of wash/dry technique and materials.

[insert Accumulator`s usual incandescent inspection lighting lecture here ;) ]