PDA

View Full Version : Hard Water & Foam Gun Question

Pages : [1] 2

freestyla
04-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Just finished getting my new house built, and then I realized that the water supply to the outside is hard water only. I do have a water softener for the inside. How important is it to wash with soft water? Should I be ok if I wash and dry before the water has anytime to dry?

Another question….I’m looking into getting a foam gun, and was wondering if anyone has found a good cheap one? So far I have only found the Autogeeks one for $60, anything cheaper?

Thanks,

-Tony

paul34
04-11-2007, 07:36 PM
I think its pretty important. In my experience, no matter how quickly you dry, water spots always form and they are super annoying.

I wouldn`t characterize my water as super hard (it is city water just to let you know), but it is definitely prone to water spotting. As such, one of my first purchases in the near future will be one of those small water softening filters and a new hose... my car is literally full of the water spots. It`s terribly annoying because no matter how much work I do, there`s always spots.

The only way to get rid of the spots is to go through with some vinegar and a towel, plus clay the entire car. Not only does this take a long time, but isn`t practical since the point is I want to keep my LSP.

Plus... the more months this keeps happening, the more likelihood those spots will end up being in a place where I can`t just clay it out anymore... I don`t have a PC or polish either :(

Black Diamond
04-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Try a little ONR in the foam gun. About 2 capfuls. This really helps to eliminate water spots.

Cheetah
04-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Try a little ONR in the foam gun. About 2 capfuls. This really helps to eliminate water spots.

Is this true? Wow. That would be great if it works. What does the ONR do to the water in a foam gun?

Roger V
04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Is this true? Wow. That would be great if it works. What does the ONR do to the water in a foam gun?

ONR has some what softeners in it I believe.

Wouldn`t the final rinse negate the ONR in the foam gun?

Black Diamond
04-11-2007, 10:40 PM
It helps to soften the water just like it does when you use it as a rinseless wash. Also gives the lubricity and the gloss after it is dried.

Cheetah
04-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Well, it looks like I have to get some ONR. Thanks.

imported_Neothin
04-11-2007, 11:21 PM
i`d just take every precaution you can to avoid water spotting in the first place. wash in the evening when the sun isnt so harsh, wash in teh shade, continually re-rinse washed areas to prevent the water from drying up, etc etc etc.

cheaper than buying another product for sure.

orngez
04-11-2007, 11:30 PM
onr in a foam gun is a great way to go...i use 1oz of onr with 1oz of CG citrus wash n` gloss in my foam gun...deadly combo and super slick to boot...

thesacrifice
04-12-2007, 12:40 AM
or you could just wash with ONR all together and kiss waterspots goodbye

velobard
04-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Yeah, ONR is probably a better idea than something like Jet Dry. For some reason while I was reading this thread Jet Dry just kept coming to mind, LOL.

Accumulator
04-12-2007, 10:51 AM
There are water-softening gizmos you can attach to your hose, they work sorta like an inline filter.

Changeling
04-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Paul34, when you get a new hose make sure it`s 3/4 inch. The 5/8 inch hoses don`t work near as well.

Changeling

I think its pretty important. In my experience, no matter how quickly you dry, water spots always form and they are super annoying.

I wouldn`t characterize my water as super hard (it is city water just to let you know), but it is definitely prone to water spotting. As such, one of my first purchases in the near future will be one of those small water softening filters and a new hose... my car is literally full of the water spots. It`s terribly annoying because no matter how much work I do, there`s always spots.

The only way to get rid of the spots is to go through with some vinegar and a towel, plus clay the entire car. Not only does this take a long time, but isn`t practical since the point is I want to keep my LSP.

Plus... the more months this keeps happening, the more likelihood those spots will end up being in a place where I can`t just clay it out anymore... I don`t have a PC or polish either :(

NickelPlated.45
04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
You can buy an inline hose filter kit for 50-60 bucks online. Mine came with two different filters and a big bag of rejuvenating tablets. Going to give a try for the first time this weekend, so i`ll let you know how it works out. I hate hard water.

Actually if you are going to get a water gun from autogeek check out their inline hose filter kit. I think that`s where i got mine from.

Espada
04-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Sorry - what is ONR? I have a hard water problem too.