PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Fluid

stiffdogg06
04-11-2007, 01:29 AM
When I use my washer fluid, some of the fluid gets on my hood in between the windshield and the spray nozzle. Once the fluid gets there, it`ll stay there; and develop water marks.:hairpull

Anyone know of a good brand to stop these marks?

Or is there another way to stop this. Diluting? using pure water when diluting? I rather not use a quick detailer to remove the water marks every time I use my washer fluid:wall

imported_truzoom
04-11-2007, 01:40 AM
I really don`t think there`s a way around it. Just from the way those nozzles work, they`ll leave a few drops in that zone before the hood ends.

With summer coming up, you could clean out your washer fluid reservoir and fill it with some distilled water. Distilled shouldn`t leave behind the mineral residue that`s common to water spots, so you would be doing less harm to the paint, I suppose.

I`m actually thinking of doing this soon since I have a pet peeve about windshields that have pollen or dust on them, but I don`t like how the blue stuff seems to cause a slight smearing to appear. As far as highway driving goes, it`s not like washer fluid ever cleaned off bug guts for me, so the difference is negligible.

imported_Neothin
04-11-2007, 01:48 AM
i just took out the whole windshield nozzle assembly/tank/pump. i figured... i never used the thing, so why keep it?

i mean.. as stated above, does it really help you? just keep a towel + QD handy in the car.

Eliot Ness
04-11-2007, 02:24 AM
.......With summer coming up, you could clean out your washer fluid reservoir and fill it with some distilled water. Distilled shouldn`t leave behind the mineral residue that`s common to water spots, so you would be doing less harm to the paint, I suppose...........If you want some extra cleaning power than what distilled water offers alone you can try some 303 Instant Windshield Washer Tablets:

303 Instant Windshield Washer Tablets (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/303inwiwata.html)

Just remember when winter rolls around again that you`ll need to put in something that won`t freeze.

I`ve never tried it, but adding an ounce or so of ONR (http://store.danase.com/opnowaandsh.html) to distilled water might work well also.

violentveedub
04-11-2007, 08:13 AM
i just took out the whole windshield nozzle assembly/tank/pump. i figured... i never used the thing, so why keep it?

i mean.. as stated above, does it really help you? just keep a towel + QD handy in the car.

I remove the rear wiper assembly on my VW hatch in summers(for a cleaner look), but for Ohio winters I NEED the washer fluid and the rear wiper, as much as I hate it.

Accumulator
04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
..for Ohio winters I NEED the washer fluid and the rear wiper, as much as I hate it.

Ain`t that the truth! There are times when you`re just *constantly* spraying that stuff to maintain visibility.

I`ve found that some LSPs seem to withstand washer fluid very well. The MPV gets used a *lot* in the winter and it doesn`t have any watermarks even after five winters. The many layers of KSG seem to just shrug off the fluid. Kinda surprised me the first few years, I`d expected the alcohol/etc. in it to compromise the KSG in not time, but it never happened.