PDA

View Full Version : Bumper scrape, what can I do?

Pages : [1] 2

BMW335i
04-10-2007, 06:43 PM
EDIT: PICS INCLUDED SCROLL DOWN

My car sits pretty low and I stupidly got a front bumper scrape...pissed me off like no tommorow.

I pulled up to a curb too far and it just scraped. You can`t see the scrape from standing position outside but if you kneel down to the floor and look under the front bumper you can, still, it annoys me like crazy. I will get some pics later but for now what can I do? The paint on the plastic bumper got scratched down down to the black plastic in quite a few areas, and then you have the typical almost-fingernail depth scratches (they are scrapes, but still somewhat relatively deep). I want to at least lessen the appearance (even though no one could possibly notice it, it ticks me off).

Could I fill in the gashes with touch up paint, let it dry, wetsand the entire area till smooth, and then polish it out with scratch X? Any other ideas? Please help..:thx

All the scrapes are limited to a relatviely small area, its probably 1ft in length on the left drivers side).

I do all I can to keep this car looking great, then something stupid has to happen...(it was also an abnormally high curb, I was checking my distance in another cars reflection but apparently it wasn`t accurate).

I will get pics (hopefully) but for now I am still recovering..

Imatk
04-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah you could try to do touchup paint... that`s really all you can do, other than repaint it. At least as far as I know :(

Macruz19
04-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, if it`s just the bottom part of the lip (bumper) then I`d just use touch up paint, since you can`t see it standing up.

BMW335i
04-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Should I bother wetsanding? The paint on the bumper is different from the paint on the panels. The scratches/scrapes feel rough to the touch..yet there is probably less than 1mm of paint on the bumper to begin with.

How would the process go?

1) Clean the area throughly

2) Apply touch up paint to `down to` plastic areas (what is the best tool to apply the touch up, a toothpick?) This will be tedious as there are a bunch of areas that just barely reaches the black plastic underneath. My paint is silver so when you are looking for the scrapes, you can see them and they don`t look good.

3) Let dry. Apply a second coat when dry. Let the second coat dry.

4) Wetsand with rubber block (what grit?) till the surface is smooth (i`m not looking for perfection, just improvement so that you can`t see the ugly black plastic). Wetsanding will also act to lessen the lighter scratches so polish will be able to finish them off so they aren`t that noticeable.

5) Polish? What is the best polish for this application? I will be hand polishing since it is in such a hard to reach spot). I figured ScratchX would do that trick...correct me if I`m wrong.

* I also want to be sure I don`t end up removing too much paint. There isn`t a lot but the car is new so the paint hasn`t lost much clearcoat to begin with.

If you guys have any advice for me please let me know. This will be my first attempt at wetsanding, if you think I will screw it up, tell me. I don`t want to be stupid and make it worse than it is.

Please critique. Thanks for your help. I will get pics especially if it will help you guys. It`s dark out so I will have to wait for tommorow.

BMW335i
04-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Here is a pic..I just want suggestions to lessen the appearance...I know the paint is removed in a few spots the paint in that area is just SO SOFT its like butter (it has to be because the plastic needs to flex).

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w70/solemajik/DSC02565.jpg?t=1176311241

From front view (you can see a tiny bit of light scratches..can I remove those somehow?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w70/solemajik/DSC02564.jpg?t=1176311365

I am guessing its too large of an area for touch up? What can I do for the scratches that are seen on the outside (front view)? If you need better pics I will take closer ones.

Would ScratchX do anything at all for the lighter scratches? The camera seemed to only pic up the black gashes and not the lighter scratches.

vdubbya
04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
I wouldn`t run out and have it repainted......chances are it will happen again! That is just life!

What I would do is clean the area really well to start. Then lightly sand the affected area to smooth out the gouges and allow paint to adhere. Your local paint supply or auto parts store should have a areosol spray paint that should match. Just mask off the area really well and spray it, then clear it.

Simple and inexpensive fix. Until it happens again.

Hope this helps!

vdubbya
04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
If you own a PC I would run that over it a little bit prior to the painting.

BMW335i
04-11-2007, 12:58 PM
I wouldn`t run out and have it repainted......chances are it will happen again! That is just life!

What I would do is clean the area really well to start. Then lightly sand the affected area to smooth out the gouges and allow paint to adhere. Your local paint supply or auto parts store should have a areosol spray paint that should match. Just mask off the area really well and spray it, then clear it.

Simple and inexpensive fix. Until it happens again.

Hope this helps!

Do you think the paint they sell there would match close enough to my color? I am confortable using touch up paint from BMW because its the same paint they used on my car.

vdubbya
04-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Maybe your local BMW dealer might be able to set you up with a exact match paint in spray.

BMW335i
04-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Maybe your local BMW dealer might be able to set you up with a exact match paint in spray.

Sounds like a plan, do you think I`ll need primer?

I know, I know, I`m being excessive. It just hurts me to know I did that to it..

vdubbya
04-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Do you have a factory paint code number now? You can go to

Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint Touch Up Accessories (http://www.automotivetouchup.com/)

You might be able to find what you need here.

BMW335i
04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Do you have a factory paint code number now? You can go to

Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint Touch Up Accessories (http://www.automotivetouchup.com/)

You might be able to find what you need here.

Thanks for that..soo

Clean, Wetsand (3000 grit?), Primer? Clean, Spray. I think that`s a half-****d proccess that wouldn`t make it look real good. But if it`s all I can do then I`ll deal with that.

vdubbya
04-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I would use a primer on exposed plastic so that the paint holds.

Depending upon the paint, you may or may not need clear. I would say you more than likely will need clear.

rkf76
04-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Sadly enough, I will be doing this process sometime in the near future as well on my rear bumper. I backed into a van at work today, nothing major, but noticeable.

vdubbya
04-11-2007, 07:30 PM
It may not be the best way(as we know) but it`s the best and least expensive. Of course if money is not an issue and fixing the paint the cheap way is not sufficient, total respray at a good paint shop is in order.

I had a customer bring a Passat Wagon to me about a year ago for a detail. The rear bumper was scratched and the black plastic was showing. She said not to worry about the bumper because she was planning to have it repainted. I told her to let me see what I could do and save her a little $$$. About $400!

Long story short I fixed the problem so that it was ok and not so noticeable. The next month she backed into the same cement wall in her parking garage at work. Hit the exact same spot. Good thing she didn`t waste the $400!

Things like this happen!