PDA

View Full Version : Presta and Pad recommendation

Pages : [1] 2

imported_jamesp
04-10-2007, 09:48 AM
i want to order some Presta ultra cutting creme light. i will be using a PC. if i understand correctly you can use this product with a PC? for best results, is a wool pad best? if not, please recommend the appropriate PC pad for removing moderate scratches and swirls. also, would OptiSeal be a good finish polish to use?

tom p.
04-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Presta has a couple of their own pads. Did you want to use them or generic 3M wool?

Rydawg has got an entire thread going on this - - did you see it?

elitemobile
04-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Yea rydawg is an awesome guy and does amazing work he helped me out alot with the presta stuff.... Might want to look into presta`s/edge yellow pad

imported_jamesp
04-10-2007, 10:10 AM
thank you very much Tom. i just found the thread and Rydawg used a LC yellow and white and stated that both worked well. i was actually over on Pakshak`s forum and read that it was recommended to use a wool pad so i just wanted to be sure. i do not have a Rotary.

imported_jamesp
04-10-2007, 10:12 AM
thanks Elite. would i need the EDGE adapter also? or can i use the oem backing plate?

elitemobile
04-10-2007, 10:35 AM
edge makes both traditional hook and loop pads, or you can opt for there new 2000 system with is the quick disconnect with the double sided pads

tom p.
04-10-2007, 10:59 AM
i do not have a Rotary.

Oh. I haven`t ever heard of PC + wool pad, but I try to learn new things every day :cool:

I`m fairly certain the more aggressive Presta products are intended for a rotary machine. You may have some measured success with the PC + cutting pad. I`ve got a specific situation I am trying to correct and the PC + aggressive pad didn`t "cut it" :D

imported_jamesp
04-11-2007, 07:13 AM
thanks for all the help.

Tom, here is an interesting product. wondering if anyone has used these yet?

Lake Country 6.5" Foamed Wool Pads (http://www.topoftheline.com/lake-country-foamed-wool-pads.html)

imported_rydawg
04-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey guys!

Presta was really designed for the rotory with wool, but will still get real good results using a pc and foam pads. It all really depends on the paint, color, make, and age. Considering it is a MB with hard paint, a rotory will do the job the best at removing the scratches and bringing the gloss to the max. Whether you use a foam cutting or a wool is pretty much preference. I prefer wool because it deep cleans, corrects, and brings out a true clean glossy finish with ease with proper speed. After that use a foam polish or finish pad on the rotory or pc with a finish polish and the rotory/wool swirls with dissapear with ease while leaving a very bright, glossy and vibrant finish that is 100% swirl free. Being a beginner is the only tough part on learning and correcting while leaving a flawless finish. I should make a DVD someday and sell it.

Hope this helps.

tom p.
04-11-2007, 11:57 AM
I should make a DVD someday and sell it.

I like it!! I`ll bring the camera :)

imported_jamesp
04-11-2007, 02:29 PM
that sounds good! Tom, you bring the camera and i`ll bring MY car..i mean, THE car :grinno:

rkf76
04-11-2007, 07:16 PM
thanks for all the help.

Tom, here is an interesting product. wondering if anyone has used these yet?

Lake Country 6.5" Foamed Wool Pads (http://www.topoftheline.com/lake-country-foamed-wool-pads.html)I`ve been curious about those pads too. Am considering them for use on a MB I have coming up, it`s heavily swirled.

imported_rydawg
04-11-2007, 07:24 PM
I have seen those, but have not tried them yet. I will try them in the summer or sooner.

rkf76
04-11-2007, 07:48 PM
I have seen those, but have not tried them yet. I will try them in the summer or sooner.And you were the one I was hoping to hear about these from. Your works looks good and you seem to know your stuff, would you mind doing a write up once you finally use them?

shadybreal
04-11-2007, 08:04 PM
While I was in Philadelphia w/ the Edge guys I notice some Presta produc ts, and when I asked them about the Presta stuff they told me that Presta has the rights to the Edge pads in the auto body industry. The Presta pads are produced by Edge pads are color coded w/ the Presta product labels. Very easy to understand and use. I can`t wait to get my CCL and SR.