PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Your Wheel Wells

Pages : [1] 2 3

donm3ga
04-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I did some research and I found that a lot of Autopians use Meguiars APC to clean them. I went to every Walmart, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, and Target near me and I could not locate one. So I picked up some Simple Green APC for my Wheel Wells. It seemed to do the trick. I just sprayed it on. Let it sit for a couple minutes. Then sprayed it down with water. I`m guessing if I want a real clean job I am going to have to hand scrub it with something. Part of my wheel wells are a sort of carpet material.

Anyways, what other products do you guys use and what is your process of cleaning your wheel wells? How do you get your wheel wells to shine that deep black color?

Thanks!

Whitethunder46
04-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I did some research and I found that a lot of Autopians use Meguiars APC to clean them. I went to every Walmart, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, and Target near me and I could not locate one. So I picked up some Simple Green APC for my Wheel Wells. It seemed to do the trick. I just sprayed it on. Let it sit for a couple minutes. Then sprayed it down with water. I`m guessing if I want a real clean job I am going to have to hand scrub it with something. Part of my wheel wells are a sort of carpet material.

Anyways, what other products do you guys use and what is your process of cleaning your wheel wells? How do you get your wheel wells to shine that deep black color?

Thanks!

I clean with Purple Powerr 1:1 and a Mother`s Fenderwell brush.

Protect with any exterior dressing. I like to use Zep All Around, AA Foam, 303, and spray dressing really.

meroving1an
04-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Megs APC + Armor All foam

with a meg body brush (whatever it is called)

mikebai1990
04-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Hope I`m not hijacking your thread, but what do you guys do with the sandy rough surfaces? I usually can soap up the plastic areas and dress them nicely, but I can`t really get my MF on the rough surfaces (it would get ripped up pretty easily). Maybe just a brush?

To the OP, don`t know if you know this, but generally the "deep black color" is achieved by spraying tire dressing of some sort. I personally use Armor All Tire Foam, and it does a pretty good job of making the wheelwells look nice and clean. My only problem is that it seems to attract dust. I`m probably going to try to wipe the wheelwells dry next time.

donm3ga
04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
To the OP, don`t know if you know this, but generally the "deep black color" is achieved by spraying tire dressing of some sort. I personally use Armor All Tire Foam, and it does a pretty good job of making the wheelwells look nice and clean. My only problem is that it seems to attract dust. I`m probably going to try to wipe the wheelwells dry next time.

I currently use Armor All Detailers Advantage Foam on my tires and it looks GREAT on tires. I will have to try it on the wheel wells now. Thanks!

BigAl3
04-09-2007, 01:11 PM
since my wheel wells are never that bad, i use some car wash soap and sponge (also wearing latex gloves) and clean them pretty thoroughly (turning the front wheels also helps). i`ll use either AA tire foam or No Touch ($10 for a 4pk at sams club!) to dress the wells...

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/643973_LG.jpg

donm3ga
04-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Nice. Just looking for something that gets the job done, but at the same time doesnt damage the appearance of the wheel wells in the long run.

I think tires, wheels, and wheel wells are the most underrated parts in making a car look nice. Dirty/dull wheel wells just take so much away from the car.

BMW335i
04-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Detailer`s Advantage Foam is a great tire wet. I stopped using it because I it has a lot of silicone which apparently leads to browning.

Macruz19
04-09-2007, 02:28 PM
I also you Simple Green APC, and I try to brush the areas I can reach. I might need a longer and more slim brush for this.

I use tire foam dressing to make them black again. I might switch and find something better.

JohnZ3MC
04-09-2007, 08:42 PM
I use a strong APC and a long handled toilet bowl brush, the one with the bristles in the loop shape, sort of donut shaped at the end. The bristle/wire end is easy to bend to whatever curve/shape is needed.

Rinse, then an AA spritz.

-John C.

imported_Neothin
04-09-2007, 11:44 PM
i`m one of the ones that uses meg`s APC for the wheel wells. diluted 5:1, a gallon certainly goes a long way!

normally i spray, let sit for 30 seconds, and then wipe out with one of my many old sheepskins dedicated for only this task. afterwards i thoroughly rinse.

normally i dont dress the wheel wells. the only time i do is when the car is a show. It is then that i use an aerosol tire shine (95% of the time i use non-foaming meguiar`s hotshine aerosol because it doesnt run like other aerosols i`ve used). i figure while i`m shining the whole tire (tread and sidewall) i can do the wheel well while im there :)

Accumulator
04-10-2007, 11:58 AM
I use a strong APC and a long handled toilet bowl brush...

I`d be a little careful about which vehicles you use a toilet brush on...just as you probably wouldn`t wash your hood with one, there are some wheelwells where I wouldn`t want to mar the paint with such a thing.

imported_Neothin
04-10-2007, 01:09 PM
paint in the wheel wells? wow, i`ve never seen that before.

Macruz19
04-10-2007, 01:19 PM
I was looking at Mothers wheel well brush on autogeek.net. Looks long enough to get the task done.

Accumulator
04-10-2007, 01:21 PM
paint in the wheel wells? wow, i`ve never seen that before.

:confused: Huh? Really? I thought it was normal as a lot of our vehicles have body-color paint in the wheelwells. There are areas that`re black-coated and there are plastic panels, but there are also painted areas. Most of the time it`s both thin and not cleared, so you have to be kinda gentle with it.