PDA

View Full Version : Why all the wierd polish and pad combos?

silvergray
04-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Hi!

Just wondering why there are so many odd combinations of polishes and pads lately? (Click/Brag)

I`ve seen people using OP with Orange or even Yellow LC pads. Why are people using agressive pads with mild polishes? I`ve even seen OC or OHC used on white polishing pads?? :nixweiss

Why not step up the polish, not the pad? Or vice-versa?

Thanks for clarifying this for me! :2thumbs:

Roger V
04-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Hi!

Just wondering why there are so many odd combinations of polishes and pads lately? (Click/Brag)

I`ve seen people using OP with Orange or even Yellow LC pads. Why are people using agressive pads with mild polishes? I`ve even seen OC or OHC used on white polishing pads?? :nixweiss

Why not step up the polish, not the pad? Or vice-versa?

Thanks for clarifying this for me! :2thumbs:

OP is kind of an odd ball because it is so pad dependent.

Mobilejay
04-09-2007, 12:56 AM
I`ll use OC on a polishing pad instead of a cutting pad on cars that aren`t horrible or really soft. If the paint is bad but not so bad as having to use an aggressive compound and pad, I will use an aggressive compound on not so aggressive pad. Still strong but not excessive. Make sense? Hell its really late and I think I just confused myself.

a.k.a. Patrick
04-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Short and simple?

Cuz were like kids and we like to play! We try to cover every conceivable method available to us.

sspeer
04-09-2007, 08:14 AM
I`ve used FPII with an Orange Pad on black paint and it looked pretty good

MoPe
04-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Short and simple?

Cuz were like kids and we like to play! We try to cover every conceivable method available to us.

Very well said Patrick :heelclick

klnyc
04-09-2007, 08:20 AM
I used OP with wool pad too :scared:

Accumulator
04-09-2007, 12:13 PM
OP is kind of an odd ball because it is so pad dependent.

That`s what came to my mind too.

Even those of us who don`t enjoy playing around with this stuff ;) occasionally stumble across some seemingly funny combos that work great. Nice when these get mentioned as people might not have thought to try that particular combo.

Some fairly aggressive products will finish out quite nicely if used with a medium pad, it can save steps.

Bigpoppa3346
04-09-2007, 12:37 PM
I use OP on a light cutting pad for cars that don`t need crazy compounding, but still need more than just a polish. Works awesome for that purpose. Follow it up OP or FPII on a polishing pad and you have a quick, easy 2 step for cars in decent shape.

imported_themightytimmah
04-10-2007, 10:20 AM
I used OP with wool pad too :scared:

+1 to that, it`s my new favorite compounding step.

Scott P
04-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Optimum Polish tends to work better on a more aggressive pad.

imported_Denzil
04-10-2007, 12:43 PM
It`s pretty much to cover all the aggressive steps in between. I usually stick to one polish and continue with more aggressive pads until I get something that works. If that doesn`t work, I try a more aggressive polish and start with the least aggressive pad and move to a more aggressive pad until I achieve something that works.

Changeling
04-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Short and simple?

:sign :cooleek: :bow :up

silvergray
04-10-2007, 10:56 PM
:sign :cooleek: :bow :up

Owned?

Not the most appropriate reply. I guess I was owned by everyone answering my question?!?

a.k.a. Patrick
04-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Silver, I think he just meant he liked the answer...........