PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing swirls

xtremekustomz
04-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Recently painted the truck, within the last 2 weeks. Have it color sanded and have buffed out all the sand scratches. I moved from the buffing compound to a polish and I can`t seem to get all the swirls out. I am using 3M PerfectIt III polishing compound with the foam pad that is recommended on the polish label. Any ideas?

kingDavid76
04-09-2007, 01:55 PM
xtremekustomz,

I used #9 Meg`s swirl remover, after I was using 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material, product# 05928. And it work good.

Accumulator
04-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Recently painted the truck, within the last 2 weeks. Have it color sanded and have buffed out all the sand scratches. I moved from the buffing compound to a polish and I can`t seem to get all the swirls out. I am using 3M PerfectIt III polishing compound with the foam pad that is recommended on the polish label. Any ideas?

Welcome to Autopia!

There are a few products in the PI-III line, but the only ones that I liked were the Rubbing Compound 05933 and the Machine Glaze 05937. I played around with a few other Pi-III products and I couldn`t get a remotely decent finish with them :nixweiss

On a lot of paints the 05933 would get things *really* close to perfect but sometimes freshly shot paint was just too soft for either one. Actual "swirls" though...that tells me that the paint might be too soft for the product in question, the initial cut creates issues that don`t polish out as the product breaks down.

FWIW I never liked 3M pads and I used others (mainly Lake, Meguiar`s, or Cyclo).

xtremekustomz
04-09-2007, 08:30 PM
I think I may have the problem fixed. I went to one of my friends paint shops and we tried a few things. I think all I need to do after the polishing is take a foam pad on a DA and apply my glaze with it. If that doesn`t get it all I will try some of the things you all have mentioned. After that put a good coat of wax and that should be all. We tested a door today and it seemed to work out well. It`s getting there. I`ll try to remember to post some pictures when I get through. This is my first vehicle paintjob and first time with a buffer. The paint ended up turning out VERY nice. I pretty much do everything myself now. I love being at a car show and someone pay a compliment on the vehicle and ask who did it and you can say "I DID". I`ll have to post some pictures of the interior work as well. I`ve got new Katzkin leather covers for my seats and a whole fiberglass painted interior including a custom built dash, console, kick panels, amp rack, and ceiling console. Pretty much the only thing I don`t do is mechanic work. I HATE it with a passion. I`ll definately be back on this forum. Lots of interesting threads.

BigJimZ28
04-09-2007, 08:46 PM
a glaze will hide the swirls not remove them

do an IPA wipedown and they will come right back!

xtremekustomz
04-09-2007, 08:55 PM
When looking at the paint in the sun it has a holographic look in certain places. If that is swirls or not I really don`t know for sure. I`m definately up for doing whatever it takes to get rid of it though. I work hard at everything I do to get it right. It took me a day just to wet sand the truck and have been working on the buffing process for 2 days. I have no problem taking my time to fix things.

BigJimZ28
04-09-2007, 09:03 PM
do you have a picture of it?

where you using a rotary?

xtremekustomz
04-09-2007, 09:12 PM
No I don`t have a picture right now. I`ll try to get one tomorrow if it isn`t raining. I was using a air powered buffer.

Anthony O.
04-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Use the search feature and look for "swirls" or "swirl removal" Tons of info will come up but not all of it is correct.

Basically the formula is the finer the pad/product combo the fewer the swirls.

Anthony