PDA

View Full Version : Waxing/protecting 4 month Si

Pages : [1] 2

xmx250
04-08-2007, 02:09 PM
look down next post

xmx250
04-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Alright i bought my 07 civic Si back in december. I attempted to wax it one time after having it for about two weeks. Turned out to be a complete failure since the wax was hazing and streaking like crazy! i couldnt get it off, everytime i wiped it it just smeared in a different direction. I quit after only doing the trunk cause i was afraid i would be damaging my paint. Now that i think back, maybe it happened cause of it being to chilly out (50-55 degrees), and i probably applied to much wax.

Now that spring is around the corner i really want to get my car waxed. I`ve been told i should use paint cleaner/clay bar etc................ To be honest i`m scared to even wax the car lol....... I tend to have bad luck with stuff like this. On that note i want to use the mildest products avaible to avoid damaging/swirling my paint.

The product i was planning on using is meguirs NXT tech liquid wax.

Do i need that step 1 paint cleaner also, since i`ve had the car for 4 months????? If i do use the paint cleaner does it get applied just like wax would? I`m actually afraid to use the paint cleaner, is it neccesary?

I`m to much of a newb to clay the entire car so if i must use clay i`ll just use it on the worst spots. Maybe down by the mudgaurds etc..... Whats the best clay bar for a newb like me to use? something that is least likely to marr the paint but still effective..

1)So far i`m gonna order microfiber towels from pakshak. (whitch ones are good for wax removal?)

2)Buy NXT tech liquid wax

3)Buy megiurs paint cleaner. Is this the one? Deep CrystalĂ‚® System Paint Cleaner A3016 Product Information (http://meguiars.com/?auto-paint-cleaners/Deep-Crystal-System-Paint-Cleaner)

4)clay bar with lube

Thanks for the help everyone

Imatk
04-08-2007, 02:28 PM
It sounds like you probably put too much wax on the first time and yes... the fact that it was very cold didn`t help.

If you`re going to only use OTC stuff I`m sure the NXT is good. The durability isn`t quite good according to some here but I really don`t know.

I`ve also heard many good things about the Mother`s "Reflection" line of products.

The paint cleaner is probably a good idea since you haven`t waxed it yet. As for a clay bar, really as long as you keep it properly lubricated you won`t have a problem. It`s not hard at all to clay a car.

Check out YouTube.com and search "Autogeek" there are quite a few very good videos that show in detail how to properly wash, clay, wax, and polish a car right down to how to properly do the wheels, tires and wheel wells.

Good luck and don`t be so nervous :) Just watch those videos and do what they show and you`ll be fine.

xmx250
04-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks i`ll search auotgeek for those videos

I`m open to suggestions on everything, just dont get to complicated, lol

bluej511
04-08-2007, 02:40 PM
nxt durability is amazing idk what everyone else is talking about lol, i put on 2coats before the winter started and after new england winter the car was still beading like crazy when i washed it.

Its worth doing the entire car with a clay bar it really is, cars on shipped to dealers on car carriers so its like driving the car. Clay bar it, then maybe use a polish then wax it a couple times with nxt, leaving an hr between waxes to cure

xmx250
04-08-2007, 03:21 PM
1)I guess one of my main questions is do i need the meg`s paint cleaner before using the NXT liquid tech wax.

2)If i do need it is it easy to use? how do i use it?

3) clay barr that wont marr and is easy to use

J.J.
04-08-2007, 03:59 PM
The main question you have to ask yourself is this: How much money and time do I have to invest in detailing my car. You are asking complex questions w/o enough information. Car detailing can get very technical and expensive. If your goal is to make this a full time hobby I would:

1. Read alot (using the search feature)

2. Invest in the appropriate tools (MFs, PC, etc)

3. Read some more

4. Ask questions if I had them (only after searching for the answer)

If you simply want the basics:

1. Wash [Search for the appropriate method (i.e. 2 bucket method)]

1. Clay (unless you have black- IMO you can destroy your finish with clay if you don`t know what you are doing)

2. Wax (OTC- Megs is fine)

3. Enjoy your results

I would not waste time with the cleaner wax if you intend to use clay. MO

JJ

xmx250
04-08-2007, 04:29 PM
I`m not looking for a hobby. I just want to keep my car in great condition. I see all these cars on the street that are like 2004`s and the paint looks like crap! I really dont want my car to look like that when its only three years old. Basically i want to keep my car in really great condition.

Money wise i cant spend to much money but at the same time i`m willing to purchase good quality stuff instead of cheaping out....

Washing i`ve got down

Claying i`m worried about.... i`ll search for the vids and stuff to clear that up. But i do want to know whats the best clay to use to reduce the chances of marring the paint

I dont plan on claying the entire car. If i do clay it will only be certain sections. On that note i`m wondering if i need the meg`s paint cleaner... I know the NXT liquid tech wax contains sligght cleaners.... I`m not sure if thats enough though..

06vrss
04-08-2007, 05:25 PM
If you are going to clay your car then using the NXT would be fine. As far as OTC products go i think that NXT is on of the best. As long as you keep the clay lubed then you shouldnt have a problem with it. Try not to put to much product on at one time, if it looks like too much it probably is.

finishfirst
04-08-2007, 05:27 PM
oh k I`m new to this but th point of claying I think is to prep your paint for it to be cleaned ..,. if you only clay a couple of sections th sections that don`t get clayed are gonna contaminate th clayed sections when you dry and or wax. there is a reason for th processes .. they help to keep your paint looking clean. maybe you should look into getting it detailed and then following th weekly washing instructions and apply a wax every couple months.....

Setec Astronomy
04-08-2007, 05:33 PM
If you don`t want to clay the whole car, run your hand over your (clean) car and see if it feels smooth, if you feel little bumps, etc, you should clay the whole thing, it`s really pretty quick and easy, as was said, don`t use any pressure to speak of (and be really careful if you drop it on the ground!). The DC1 paint cleaner is fine and easy to use, definitely do that. Your car is pretty new so it shouldn`t be a huge deal by hand, just follow the directions, use a small amount, rub it in good, etc., then follow with the NXT and you should be good to go.

bluej511
04-08-2007, 07:22 PM
well i know for a fact he`s going to have to clay the whole car, why wait for it to keep collecting you should just start fresh, trust me you`ll be glad you did

Jetbo
04-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Since your ordering microfiber towels from pakshak anyways I would go for a bottle of Duragloss Total Performance Polish #105 instead of the NXT 1) it`s just as easy to put on 2)it won`t stain your trim (which is one of my biggest gripes with NXT) and 3)it will last a whole lot longer so there is not need to reapply as often to protect your paint.

Dcon67
04-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Yes...if you`re already planning on placing an order for MF`s with Pakshak, why not get your clay/wax/sealant from them too? Pakshak has most of the better lines, so your not limited to OTC stuff. I`d think something like the Klasse twins would be good...AIO, for the paint cleansing non-abrasive polish, and SG to seal. I know, I know, there are newer and better versions of that style of product by other companies, i.e. Zaino, and Werkstatt, but using Klasse keeps his purchasing to one place, and will be much better than anything found OTC. Plus to save $, you can make up a homebrew QD with SG for after washing...and if you want more depth, you can top it off with a carnauba. i.e the "Perfect Shine" alla Sonus.

mbkintner
04-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Claying is easy and safe if you use plenty of lubricant and are gentle (i.e don`t scrub). For a gentle clay try this:

Auto Detail Clay Bar - Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-3200-300.html)

Mike