PDA

View Full Version : more wetsanding questions

imported_paradigm
04-07-2007, 05:23 PM
after numerous practice rounds with wetsanding, watching videos and reading other autopian articles, i have a few more questions.

many people say to always sand in one direction (at least for spot touch-ups such as rock chips, etc). videos posted on here show the detailer going back and forth over and over...not swiping in one direction.

to the questions:

1. what is the best way to sand then? should you swipe in one direction, pick up the paper...then start from the beginning again and go in the same direction?...or go back and forth? does it really matter?

2. direction of the sanding in relation to a scratch. if you are trying to remove a straight line defect, do you only go in one direction (with or against) of the mark, or should you go in both to ensure you get all edges of the scratch out?

3. pressure. i`m assuming just enough pressure to keep the paper level on the paint.

thanks-

BigJimZ28
04-07-2007, 09:01 PM
1.) one direction = back & forth= all sanding lines in the same direction!

2.)with the scratch

3.) yes min. pressure

Accumulator
04-08-2007, 11:29 AM
2) I sometimes go across the scratch so I don`t "cut a rut". This can mean that..

1) Sometimes I`ve gone both across and with a scratch...which makes it tougher to get the scratches out.

But that`s *sometimes* and only when I felt I had to do it to avoid carving the Grand Canyon out of the area I`m working.