PDA

View Full Version : Zaino - Optically Clear - Z2/Z5/CS

Pages : [1] 2

pingable
04-06-2007, 08:32 PM
I know CS is optically clear...

How much of a difference is the Z2/Z5 optic-wise is it compared to the CS.

After much body aching torture, my HRE`s are back to mirror shine.

Granted, in the past I have used the Z2/Z5, while it has kept oxidation down, I would be constantly on it with metal polish due to water spotting...

Last season, I did not keep ontop of it and the wheels went to Hell.

I`m planning to order some CS later - just dunno if I should order it earlier to throw on the wheels or just use up my existing stash of Z5/Z2.

joshtpa
04-07-2007, 06:45 AM
I like CS on the wheels, but that is the only thing it seems to work for me on. Stick with your existing stash, and you will end up very happy.

imported_GregCavi
04-07-2007, 11:02 AM
If you are after maximum protection on your wheels, you could do a couple coats of Z5/Z2pro or 2 of each etc, and then top with CS for an extremely long lasting sealant.

Greg

pingable
04-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Good protection but not max ....I tend to prefer 1 coat since when it`s high polished and then sealed, it helps keep oxidation down, but regardless, since it`s non garaged, water mineral spots always tend to have me working on the weekends with the metal polish.

It`s like a constant battle - I seal and then I need to reseal due to my need to use metal polish to keep ontop of the finish.

Scottwax
04-07-2007, 11:31 AM
IMO, `optically clear` is a marketing term, just go with what you think looks good. You existing stash of Z2/5 is more than durable enough. :)

joshtpa
04-07-2007, 11:44 AM
IMO, `optically clear` is a marketing term, just go with what you think looks good. You existing stash of Z2/5 is more than durable enough. :)

Perfectly said.

mschuyler
04-07-2007, 01:08 PM

I`m glad you said that. I`ve been wondering about this term. I was trying to imagine what NOT optically clear would be like. A grey haze? I mean, I still see the paint. It`s bright red. I don`t see no steenking wax. Everything I use is optically clear. (Well, maybe not the <cough> tire dressing.)

wannafbody
04-07-2007, 02:34 PM

I don`t want to get into a scientific debate on "optically clear". My experience is that I can see thru a bottle of CS the same as I can see thru a bottle of water. For practical purposes that makes the product "virtually" clear.

Paulie Walnuts
04-07-2007, 03:01 PM
IMO, `optically clear` is a marketing term, just go with what you think looks good. You existing stash of Z2/5 is more than durable enough. :)I enjoy Zaino and think its one of the better products out there but I was thinking the same thing Scott. I just could not see spending $30 on a tiny 6oz bottle. I will wait for Opti Seal.

pingable
04-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Just for clarification fellas, the reason why I was looking for something *optically clear* was that the application was NOT for paint but for high polished uncoated aluminum wheels.

I have used Z2/Z5 in the past and it took the clarity a notch down...

imported_Dave1
04-07-2007, 04:26 PM
I enjoy Zaino and think its one of the better products out there but I was thinking the same thing Scott. I just could not see spending $30 on a tiny 6oz bottle. I will wait for Opti Seal.

How much is too much for Opti Seal......?

RCBuddha
04-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Just for clarification fellas, the reason why I was looking for something *optically clear* was that the application was NOT for paint but for high polished uncoated aluminum wheels.

Wheel wax maybe? Rim Wax? You try those yet?

imported_memnuts
04-07-2007, 05:15 PM
I would suggest that you just apply a wax/sealant (i.e. Z2/5,Klasse, JW, UPP, M-21, any carnuaba) laying around the house since you must re-polish every week. Polished aluminum, unless very highly polished will absorb any applied protectant and alter the appearance.

Scottwax
04-07-2007, 06:34 PM

:hm Interesting...I wouldn`t have expected that.

I`ve had excellent results with Wheel Wax, which my local Discount Tire sell for about $12. One jar should last you years, takes me a long time to go through one.

imported_agentf1
04-07-2007, 07:31 PM
I use Z2 or Z5p with great results on my polished wheels. I also like CS on them.