PDA

View Full Version : difference in HTHC and EC?

Pages : [1] 2

shadybreal
04-06-2007, 08:44 AM
I`ve been reading a lot about the two High Temp products, and was wondering what`s the main difference. I think EC is even stronger, but if I was going to get one would I also need the other. Which one would you choose? Thanks!

maesal
04-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Interesting thread. I`m looking for some HC and I think I`ll get the strongest...

imported_smprince1
04-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I believe the EC is more abrassive than the HC.

I have the HC and it will correct quite a bit, don`t know if I would ever need the EC but many here rave about the EC having great cut and still finishing down pretty well with the rotary.

Woob
04-06-2007, 03:03 PM
HC can cut 1000 Grit Marks, while EC can cut up to 600 Grit Marks. I believe both are Solvent based, so you need the heat of the rotary.

BigJimZ28
04-06-2007, 03:06 PM
HC can cut 1000 Grit Marks, while EC can cut up to 600 Grit Marks. I believe both are Solvent based, so you need the heat of the rotary.

HTEC works very well by PC!

so you don`t need the rotary:nixweiss

Envious Eric
04-06-2007, 05:32 PM
HTEC works very well by PC!

so you don`t need the rotary:nixweiss

agreed...its my new compound for faster PC work

Brian_Brice
04-06-2007, 06:12 PM
yeah someone did a thread on ec via pc a while back and im definitely a believer.

AL-53
04-06-2007, 06:18 PM
The Heavy Cut compound is solvent based...

The Extreme Power cut leveler is water based....

I have used the Extreme power cut leveler and it works very nice with a rotary...will dust some also...I mix a bit of OP in it to cut down dust and a longer work time

the HT-357 Heavy Power Cut Leveler is also a nice product....

I have all the levelers and they work very nice....

Have not used any of the compounds...

AL

imported_Picus
04-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Here is my experience with both.

HTEC is water based, it is better via rotary than PC but still good with PC. It breaks down relatively quickly, which is why a lot of people (like me) add OP to it to increase working time. It`s cut is on par with Menzerna Power Gloss. I do not think it could take out 600 grit marks. I know it will take out 1500, MAYBE 1000. It finishes down well considering the cut (much better than PG), but it will leave micromarring on any paint, and will significantly mar soft paint. RE: using it with PC - it does still work but compared to the rotary it takes awhile to break it down effectively to limit micromarring, and as such is can bog down pads and become sort of hard to remove. Still very good though.

HTEC is solvent based, it works about as well by rotary and PC. By PC it`d be my "go to" heavy compound. It breaks down slower than EC, and as such it doesn`t really require the addition of OP (or similar). It *will* bog down pads quickly if you use it straight though. 2 panels and it`s time for a new pad. If you continue buffing with a saturated pad the finish gets progressively worse and the product becomes nightmarish to remove. With a clean pad it removes almost effortlessly. The cut to finish ratio is about as good as anything I`ve used. It cuts about as well as SSR2.5 (better than IP) and finishes down much better than both. I`ve yet to meet the car that didn`t have a clean finish after HTHC then 106ff (maybe not marring free, but no haze/holograms).

This is all in my experience. I use one of the two on about 90% of the polishing details I do.

imported_smprince1
04-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Not trying to be argumentative or anything, but according to the Hi-Temp web site both HC and EC are water based levelers.

HT-357 Heavy Power Cut Leveler

The one that started it all! Our water-based

leveler that removes heavy scratches and

paint defects, restoring clearcoat paints to

their original high-gloss apperance.

HT-420 Extreme Power Cut Leveler

A water-based leveler that removes coarse

scratches and paint defects, restoring

clearcoat paints to their original

high-gloss apperance.

Just wanted to include for accuracy. I use HC and agree it is a great leveler, whether it is water based or solvent based.

I could be wrong, but I believe most people if not all on on this forum are referring to the levelers and not the compounds when they talk of the Hi-Temp line.

BTW, per the web site, LC and MC are solvent based.:bolt

imported_Picus
04-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Er, whoops.. you`re probably right. My bad. Yes, I am always referring to levelers. I have not used the compounds.

brwill2005
04-06-2007, 07:41 PM
As stated above, HC and EC are water based products. I called Hi-Temp yesterday to clear up several things. Hi-Temp Light Cut and Medium Cut are solvent based products. Heavy Cut and Exreme Cut are water based products. What does all this mean? The solvents in LC and MC soften the paint and allow the abrasives to work. This allows you to operate the rotary at lower speeds 1200-1500. The solvents also allow the LC and MC to work better with an orbital because the solvents soften the paint. According to Hi-Temp, Heavy Cut and Extreme Cut need to be operated at higher RPM`s with the rotary because there is no solvents to soften the paint. HC and EC need the heat generated by a high speed rotary to work properly. They said HC and EC will not work well via an orbital because there is not enough heat generated by an orbital. The products will hide scratches and swirls but not remove them. Again this is according to Hi-Temp. In my experience the HC and EC wil correct defects via orbital. They said the LC and MC are better choices for orbital use. Again, this all comes directly from a knowlegable representative at HI-TEMP.

imported_smprince1
04-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Er, whoops.. you`re probably right. My bad. Yes, I am always referring to levelers. I have not used the compounds.

No "bad" in my book. Just wanted to clear things up as I`m not a genius I just happened to read it off the Hi-Temp web site.

From what I`ve seen of your work on this forum Picus .... water, solvent, or vinegar based you are getting excellent results.:2thumbs:

imported_Picus
04-06-2007, 07:50 PM
As stated above, HC and EC are water based products. I called Hi-Temp yesterday to clear up several things. Hi-Temp Light Cut and Medium Cut are solvent based products. Heavy Cut and Exreme Cut are water based products. What does all this mean? The solvents in LC and MC soften the paint and allow the abrasives to work. This allows you to operate the rotary at lower speeds 1200-1500. The solvents also allow the LC and MC to work better with an orbital because the solvents soften the paint. According to Hi-Temp, Heavy Cut and Extreme Cut need to be operated at higher RPM`s with the rotary because there is no solvents to soften the paint. HC and EC need the heat generated by a high speed rotary to work properly. They said HC and EC will not work well via an orbital because there is not enough heat generated by an orbital. The products will hide scratches and swirls but not remove them. Again this is according to Hi-Temp. In my experience the HC and EC wil correct defects via orbital. They said the LC and MC are better choices for orbital use. Again, this all comes directly from a knowlegable representative at HI-TEMP.

Cool, thanks. I definitely disagree about the orbital thing though. With both products you need to work them until they are completely broken down (or risk serious mircomarring), but it is possible with both. HC in particular is very good via PC.

brwill2005
04-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Cool, thanks. I definitely disagree about the orbital thing though. With both products you need to work them until they are completely broken down (or risk serious mircomarring), but it is possible with both. HC in particular is very good via PC.

I agree 100%. Just relying the information I was told by Hi-Temp. HC works very well via orbital.