PDA

View Full Version : This is funny (from another forum)

GlossyTundra
04-05-2007, 09:40 PM
This is from Tundra Solutions is where you can research, discuss, price and repair your Toyota, Scion or Lexus (http://www.tundrasolutions.com) A thread was started by a user showing wax beads on his new 2007 tundra (Z2 and Prima Epic I think).

Quote:

Wax is nothing more than a petrloeum based product that temporalily fills minor imperfections, swirl marks and enhances gloss and beads water until it is either washed off or the heat from the sun bakes the petroleum off the car. Yes, some are much better than others and even those don`t do squat for what you are claiming.

While waxing helps the appearnce the quality and the correct application of the clearcoat (needs 2 `dry` mils for max protection) is going to determine what permaeates it and stains it (like gasoline does on cheap clears), by nature the polyurethane clear is waterporoof and even if you waxed your ride every day of your life if it sees any type of daylight (UV doesn`t care about clouds) and it lacks quality UV inhibotors in its resin system you are wasting your time beacuse its going to yellow and eventually peel because wax won`t stop a thing.

Sure a freshly waxed car looks slick and beads water but that`s about all its good for so whats the point of beading water other than you might have chance of air drying a freshly rained on vehicle with minimal waterspots? Of course the fastest way to produce a gloss on a finish is to add petroleum plus oils give you that false sensing of eliminating minor scratches and swirls marks when all that really happened was you filled them with oil/wax unless you actually took the time to correctly buff/polish these blemishes a way.

Keep this in mind too: if your Toy doesn`t have 2 mils of actual clear on it from the factory even under the slim to none chance Toyota uses the best clear coat out there that lack of 2 mils will cost you durability, UV protection and gloss over time and perfect example was I painted my mom`s 60K mile dent free 97 Camry which was 4M9 from the factory (that champagne color where the body never matched the door handles or bumpers from the factory) because the paint was detoriated to the point it was about to delaminate.

Sure the car had idiot proof Toy quality but it had an early 90`s GM paint job and I haven`t seen much improvement over the years.

I`ll agree with the general consensus Toyota produces some of the highest quality mass produced vehicles at the moment but don`t think for a second your factory paint job is more than medicocre. If it were they would warranty it for at least as long as the bumper to bumper warranty but they know better.

Also, the next time you look at a Toyota with a $699 paint protection package ask the salesperson in a concerned voice if that magical paint sealant is available to body shops in case your new car is wrecked and must be painted (because when you consider a gallon `kit` that is just about enough to spray 2 Camry`s allover of DuPont, Spies or PPG`s best clear costs about $300 this magical paint sealant that costs $699 needs to replaced on these inferior panels that were freshly painted because wouldn`t it be just devestating if these new panels faded faster than these old panels with the magic sealant on them ) the typical line is something like any auto paint store carries it and every body shop has access to it.

I can tell you this for a fact: Over the last 15 years I have called on and sold to no less than 500 unique auto paint stores in the SE and have millions and millions of dollars automotive coating marketing experience in addition to my own painting experience and not only does this product not exist in an auto paint store or a body shop but you have purchased $699 in snake oil that hopefully yielded you a single hand glaze or hand wax job that will wash off in 3 to 4 weeks.

The only thing worse than paying for this package is paying the added dealer profit (usually about $499) on your sales sheet in the finance room. A tip here is you can bring up it and say you aren`t going to pay it like a wimp then FI guy will make serious page to the salesperson who will in return back up the FI guy and say every spineless sucker pays this added dealer profit. Or you can say it with some balls and walk your arse out over it like a real man with a sack would. Everytime I`ve walked out over this pure BS I`ve been invited back and intially they try to counter it but tell them to get bent and they`ll waive it. Only suckers pay made up fees on a piece of paper.

He shure knows his stuff:grinno:

imported_paradigm
04-05-2007, 10:18 PM
wow. just......wow.

velobard
04-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Also, the next time you look at a Toyota with a $699 paint protection package ask the salesperson in a concerned voice if that magical paint sealant is available to body shops in case your new car is wrecked and must be painted (because when you consider a gallon `kit` that is just about enough to spray 2 Camry`s allover of DuPont, Spies or PPG`s best clear costs about $300 this magical paint sealant that costs $699 needs to replaced on these inferior panels that were freshly painted because wouldn`t it be just devestating if these new panels faded faster than these old panels with the magic sealant on them ) the typical line is something like any auto paint store carries it and every body shop has access to it.

I do like this part. As for the rest, geez, where to even begin. :eek:

Scottwax
04-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Pretty funny about the 2 mils of clear....there is no way to even accurately measure that...all a paint thickness guage will measure is the total paint thickness. Any good detailer will always assume the clear is no more than 1.5 mils anyway and the safe minimum is 1 mil, anything under that and the UV protection is seriously compromised.

Another self-proclaimed expert. :rolleyes:

My brother-in-law has a Tundra, I`ll have to see if he posts on the board that was on.

GlossyTundra
04-06-2007, 02:54 AM
There are a couple of autopians over there. JumboJett, MOREPOWER, mose, and others are really helping out with the answers given at ts.com. I still get about 2pm`s a day asking what wax to use and so forth.

I`ll let yall know what he says back later.

Scottwax
04-06-2007, 09:48 AM
I still get about 2pm`s a day asking what wax to use and so forth.

Either turn off PMs, tell them to use the search function or post on the board and PM you the link, or it will quickly get out of hand. Trust me on this. ;)

mikelea4ever
04-06-2007, 12:47 PM
I think the whole thing is just stupid. :getdown

robertrinaustin
04-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Here is one I pulled from a thread on another forum today. I figured you guys could appreciate it here.

"I second that, also don`t use a mechanical buffer... hand wax. Orbitals sometimes leaves swirls... "

The OP was asking how to remove fine swirls. I guess we should all quit using our PCs.

Anthony O.
04-06-2007, 06:54 PM
While waxing helps the appearnce the quality and the correct application of the clearcoat (needs 2 `dry` mils for max protection) is going to determine what permaeates it and stains it (like gasoline does on cheap clears), by nature the polyurethane clear is waterporoof and even if you waxed your ride every day of your life if it sees any type of daylight (UV doesn`t care about clouds) and it lacks quality UV inhibotors in its resin system you are wasting your time beacuse its going to yellow and eventually peel because wax won`t stop a thing.

Not sure if I understood this correctly or perhaps he miswrote BUT a clear coat is NOT "water proof" as it will actually absorb water and "swell" as it absorbs some solvents.

Obviously he has never heard of waxes that contain UV absorbers. His feelings of and on wax are in error and come from, what appears to be, an angry and very biased mindset.

Anthony

Pennypacker
04-06-2007, 10:02 PM
His opinion is as backwards as his writing skills. Paragraph-long sentences will hurt one`s credibility. That was just painful to read.

Junebug
04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
He sounds like some of the out of touch marketing types currently in charge of major corporations ( like the one I work for!) Only thing to shut up a wind bag like that is to say "prove it" I do agree on the $699 some Toyota stealerships charge, but even that pales to the Chevy I saw last weekend - 07 Impala with $499 pin stripes and $599 "market adjustment" added to the sticker. Hey, it`s a friggin Impala, drive it off the lot and the value drops more than a boats`.