PDA

View Full Version : optimum polish and poli-seal users help me, does polishseal avoid the need for wax

Pages : [1] 2

gstatus929
04-05-2007, 11:43 AM
hey guys,

i have black infiniti g35 coupe,

my rear bumber was repainted and they left behind nothing but swirls.

i purchased the optimum polish, optimum poli-seal, a pc7424 and a ton of country, i used the polish with a orange lake wood pad and it worked great, took out all my holograms and swirl.

but i still have some micro fine circular scratches on the panel.. so im going to use a yellow pad and the optimum compound, follow with the polish and then the poliseal

my main quesiton is, how nice of a shine does the poli-seal leave. i have a black car and i want a shiny wet new car look, will poli-seal give me this? or will i need to follow with a carnuba wax?

Setec Astronomy
04-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Sounds like your going the wrong direction--if you only have "micro fine" marring, going to a yellow pad and a cutting compound is probably not indicated. While you`re out in that "ton of country" grab yourself a white "lake wood" pad and go over it again with the Poli-Seal. If that doesn`t do it, go back to the OP. At that point I think the Poli-Seal will be optional, but you can use it, and then top with a `nuba if the finish isn`t wet enough for you.

Oh, and :welcome to Autopia!

gstatus929
04-05-2007, 12:06 PM
thanks , i dont know if u understood me.

the polish worked great but when i shine light on the car i still see circualr scratches, that is why i wanted to use a

yellow LC pad with some optimum compound

followed by a orange LC pad with the optimum polish

And completed With a white LC pad and optimum poliseal

im sure the compound will take out my scratches, the polish will shine the paint and the poliseal and make it even nicer.,

is this a safe route?

does poli-seal give a nice enough shine and look to avoid the use of a final wax

joshtpa
04-05-2007, 12:08 PM
That is a preference thing. Sure it looks very good. I prefer to top it with some carnuba, but some dont.

gstatus929
04-05-2007, 12:10 PM
any pics of the poli-seal

NTOXIK8N DETAIL
04-05-2007, 12:17 PM
wax and sealents will always give different looks. You have nothing to lose by topping with pure nuba, wont take you long so just try it out. It *should* give you a wetter deeper look when finished that your looking for.

As for the scratches, if you still have them you can try going over it again with what you have done with OP. Or step down, but dont step both pad and compound down, it will be too harsh.

Setec Astronomy
04-05-2007, 12:21 PM
You used an orange pad on a black car. Did you clay beforehand? Is the marring that remains leftover from the original marring, induced by embedded contaminants broken loose during the polishing, or is it marring from the pad itself? If the marring is from contaminants, you will need to make sure the surface is clean, as well as your pads and buffing towels. If the marring is from the orange pad, you will need to repeat your polishing step with a finer pad, and make sure you are fully working the polish. If, and only if, the marring is original deep marks (or new deep marks from embedded contaminants being ground into the paint), should you go to a cutting pad and/or compound.

gstatus929
04-06-2007, 09:31 AM
what exactly is marring? (sorry im a newb)

the pads were clean but the polish wasnt abrasive enough to take out all my circular scratches,

that is why i was going to use the compound with a yellow lc and follow with the polish with a orange lc

but a yellow pad mayb to harsh so ill try the compound with the orange pad for now then take another orange pad with some polish

as far as the poliseal goes, hows the shine any pics? can carnuba potentially make the shine wors when toped on the poliseal?

Scottwax
04-06-2007, 09:41 AM
To specifically answer your question, yes, Poli-Seal contains enough polymer/carnauba protection for around 3 months durability (give or take, depending on your particular enviroment and car care habits) and it has a nice darkening effect with a carnauba-like glow. Usually, if I use anything over Poli-Seal, it is Meguiars #16, Clearkote`s Carnauba Moose, Pinnacle Souveran or Poorboy`s EX w/carnauba.

You can look through my click and brag threads or 200+ pages of my Autopia gallery for pics. I always list the products I use.

joshtpa
04-06-2007, 09:46 AM
CM over PS looks great on both white and black cars.

imported_Bence
04-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Just to clear up things a bit: how old is your repaint? Why did you think that a yellow was needed to remove the defects? How was the paint hardness? Lake "wood" means wool? If yes, why are you surprised that it left marks? Did you use the correct amounts? Describe it how much.

BMW335i
04-06-2007, 10:54 AM
To specifically answer your question, yes, Poli-Seal contains enough polymer/carnauba protection for around 3 months durability (give or take, depending on your particular enviroment and car care habits) and it has a nice darkening effect with a carnauba-like glow. Usually, if I use anything over Poli-Seal, it is Meguiars #16, Clearkote`s Carnauba Moose, Pinnacle Souveran or Poorboy`s EX w/carnauba.

You can look through my click and brag threads or 200+ pages of my Autopia gallery for pics. I always list the products I use.

What would you think of using 845 over OPS (silver car)? Thats what I was planning to do, but was also contemplating #16 although the price is hefty.

gstatus929
04-06-2007, 11:10 AM
lake wood foam pads were used,

repaint is about 6 months.

5 pea size blots of polish used per every 4 square feet

would mothers pure carnuba wax work well over the poliseal, can it maybe worsen the shine of the car if i mix a carnuba on top of the poliseal

BMW335i
04-06-2007, 12:24 PM
lake wood foam pads were used,

repaint is about 6 months.

5 pea size blots of polish used per every 4 square feet

would mothers pure carnuba wax work well over the poliseal, can it maybe worsen the shine of the car if i mix a carnuba on top of the poliseal

Im wondering the same thing.

imported_Bence
04-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Jonathan, and we are back at the old "usethe845" days... :D

The price of the #16 is just a perception. In the UK where #16 is still common, you can buy it for 20-22 bucks. While it looks nice and reflective, 845 is more distinctive.

gstatus, the amounts seem correct. Mothers Pure Carnauba is an excellent wax which should look great on top of the OPS.