PDA

View Full Version : new to detailing

dubbkidd
04-04-2007, 06:06 PM
lately i have become very interested in the art of detailing...however im not quite sure in the steps and products i should use in detailing my car....i recently bought a rotary buffer by makita..not exactly sure on the model and used it to detail my car using mothers stage one polish...however it looked good when i first did it but later saw that it had left many swirls all over hte car in sunlight.....

i have a black 06 vw gti and im looking forward to having my car looking as awesome as possible for an up comming vw/audi show at english town...i was wondering what steps i can use in geting my car to look its best..i was considering using a clay bar as well...but i am not sure in what order steps to clean my car..i was considering using dawn dish washer soap, the use at clay bar on it...polish it and then wax it using some p21s....however idk if it is safe to use a clay bar after removing all the wax and im also looking for the best method of removing swirl marks as well as a good producting in doing so..

joshtpa
04-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Starting wiht a rotary is a dangerous thing....Take a look at some of the great articles on this site.

ScrubSRT
04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
The Rotary isent really the place to start out if you havent used one before.

you can clay the car after you use dawn as long as you are not using a too agressive clay (i like clay magic) it shouldent leave any marring.

then go from there with your polishing and sealant.

tom p.
04-04-2007, 07:48 PM
take a look at some of the great articles on this site.

+1.

Ya gotta start with the basics, kid. I`d strongly recommend doing some serious reading here before you do any more post on "how do I detail a car".

Welcome aboard! :waxing:

dubbkidd
04-04-2007, 09:10 PM
The Rotary isent really the place to start out if you havent used one before.

you can clay the car after you use dawn as long as you are not using a too agressive clay (i like clay magic) it shouldent leave any marring.

then go from there with your polishing and sealant.

yea i was thinking about using the sfx green clay considering it suppose to be the least abrasive and the car is only about a year old..but im afraid something else like the clay magic may be to abrasive...

i was also wondering what would be a good sealant..

ScrubSRT
04-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I Use Poorboys EX-P

But i would just click the "Learn" Icon at the top of the page and dig in.

dubbkidd
04-05-2007, 07:20 PM
can i get some input on clay magic...i was wondering if it is good....as to when it is compared to other brands.

Monte78Carlo2k1
04-05-2007, 07:34 PM
I have clay magic now only because of this site. Then after that there were some things that were factors as well, such as: Price $10 I think at Auto Zone and many people recommend it over other clays that are availiable.