PDA

View Full Version : A few leather questions

BMW335i
04-04-2007, 04:52 PM
1. Is there such thing as using "too much leather conditioner" on leather

2. Is water bad for leather

3. Is applying leather conditioner by hand bad? (I use Z10) What do you prefer to use? I found a yellow foam pad to work best..

4. What type of brush is best for scrubbing leather clean?

Thank you..

Accumulator
04-04-2007, 05:15 PM
It wouldn`t surprise me if you got some differing answers. Here`s my $0.02..

1. Is there such thing as using "too much leather conditioner" on leather

Yeah. I`ve experienced problems with over-conditioned footwear and holsters. But I wouldn`t expect it to be a real problem with automotive leather unless you *really* overdo it. But wipe off any excess so it doesn`t attract dirt and/or stain your clothes.

2. Is water bad for leather

Yeah, but not unless you get extreme about it. Just as you wouldn`t toss a pair of leather shoes in a lake for an hour, getting them wet in the rain doesn`t hurt them. Same sort of thing with automotive leather.

3. Is applying leather conditioner by hand bad? (I use Z10) What do you prefer to use? I found a yellow foam pad to work best..

I suppose it depends on the product (wouldn`t want to get Leatherique on my skin) but generally if it`s OK for leather it`s OK for skin...they aren`t all *that* different ;) I usually use terry or an old MF but IMO whatever you like using is gonna be fine.

4. What type of brush is best for scrubbing leather clean?

One that`s soft enough not to abrade any stitching (let alone abrade the leather) but stiff enough to effect good cleaning. I use a horsehair one from Griot`s that`s a bit stiffer than the ones I use on leather shoes, but I`m sure there are much cheaper ones that`ll work just as well.

BMW335i
04-04-2007, 05:20 PM
^^ Thanks Accumulator. Helpful advice as always..

tom p.
04-04-2007, 05:37 PM
355i, unless you`re in a very hot climate, conditioning quarterly will be most adequate. I find that some leathers start to stretch when they are softened too much.

Bigpoppa3346
04-04-2007, 05:48 PM
I agree with the others. On some cars, I like to apply leather conditioner with my bare hands, just because I feel like I can work it in better.

RyanDe680
04-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I use a microfiber applicator pad or a cloth applicator pad to apply leather conditioner.

The amount you use depends on 1. The absorbtion factor of the leather (in some cases leatherette), and 2. The product used. Some products are more oily than others...