PDA

View Full Version : What`s the best way of removing glue?

xan021
05-11-2005, 10:03 PM
I have a car that has graphics in it and I decided to remove it. As I peel it off I am sure there will be alot of glue stuck of the paint. Any tips on ways and products to remove it?
Thanks,
Alex.

MS22
05-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Best bet would be some Goo Gone on a terry towel. If that does not work step it up to some tarminator or even gasoline and that should take care of your problems. I have a friend who uses gasoline to remove the glue from removing factory badges all of the time, seems to work for him, just give the car a good wash after you are done. You may need to polish too, just a heads up.

CharlesW
05-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Try using a heat gun or hair dryer while removing the tape.
The few times I have needed to remove glue/adhesive, I used the 3M Wax & Adhesive remover. Worked OK, but it wasn`t a wipe on, wipe off project. It took some time and effort.

Charles

LastDetail
05-12-2005, 03:57 AM
I helped a buddy tear the door trim off of his Tahoe. once we got the trim off there was all the glue still stuck to the paint. Geez what a nightmare. Nothing wanted to work, Goo-gone, 91 octane gasoline, we even tried brake cleaner. the stuff absolutely refused to come off. I ended up saying screw it and spent the next couple hours peeling it off with my fingernails.

luigi5
05-12-2005, 01:58 PM
What i noticed that worked for me is some laquer thinner, couple of shop rags and plastic razor depending on how much glue. Yesterday I did a Dodge Ram 1500 with the double stripes going down the middle of the whole truck. Let me say it was a disater, it was flaking and cracked all over the place. So I used my large decal remover from 3m and my milwaukee .The 3m decal remover helps for cracked decals but it makes a mess , shredded decal and glue all over the place. Took me about 4 to 5 hrs or so to get every thing off. Great part about it was it was for a dealership that I do work at(so you know I didn`t get paid what I was suppose to get paid)

rollman
05-12-2005, 03:06 PM
3m adhesive remove , you can find it at a bodyshop supply. I have another remove I picked up at my local supply store but I forget the name . I`ll check and let you know .

xan021
05-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Thank you eveyone for your replies

JaredPointer
05-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Glue REMOVER - isn`t it obvious??? :rofl :lol

At least I had the decency to wait until the question was seriously answered. :)