PDA

View Full Version : Disaster Volvo Project(56k beware!)

Pages : [1] 2

bbr4d3r
05-11-2005, 09:28 PM
My sister is going to be selling this thing and I need practice so she told me i should detail it so that it doesnt look as bad as it does...I was wondering what steps/products you guys would use to do this car if it was one that you had to detail...if any of you have time id appreciate it, thanks :beer

http://bbr4d3r.com/volvo/IMG_0551.JPG

http://bbr4d3r.com/volvo/IMG_0552.JPG

http://bbr4d3r.com/volvo/IMG_0554.JPG

http://bbr4d3r.com/volvo/IMG_0555.JPG

GregCavi
05-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Wow! haha. What products do you have. And do you have a pc?

Greg

bbr4d3r
05-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Sadly i have nothing currently ive been having the hardest time trying to decide what i might want because there are just so many different products out there....and as for the pc i cant afford one right now:-( soon tho! i have a 10inch orbital buffer but i know thats not very great but it gets me along for now...

GregCavi
05-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Here is your wishlist:

SSR3
SSR2.5
SSR2
SSR1
PwC
Nattys, S100, whatever isnt an arm and a leg
Clay
Car shampoo

PC
light cut pad
polishing pad x2
finsihing pad

for process on that volvo i think you would realistically be looking at something like this.

SSR3 via light cut pad
SSR1 if hazing still appears then SSR2 via polishing pad
SSR1
PwC
Wax

HTH

GREG

bbr4d3r
05-11-2005, 10:19 PM
thanks, just makin sure you meant this SSR1 if hazing still appears then SSR2 via polishing pad?? and how much damage could i do to a car with SSR3 being how ive never used it before?

LastDetail
05-12-2005, 03:48 AM
You should tell your sister that if she buys you all the gear that you need, including the PC and pads ;) then you will do the car for her.
That looks like it is going to take QUITE some time for it to come out lookin purdy.
I mean really, look at the car, (I dare not inquire about the interior), that whole list of products you would need including the PC would run, about $400, maybe even less.
She would make up the cost just in the price that she could sell the car for detailed instead of thrashed. In my opinion there is no way to get this car back to an acceptable level by hand, you would need a PC.
So have her get you the stuff, do the car, she sells it for more, everybody is happy.

GregCavi
05-12-2005, 07:42 AM
thanks, just makin sure you meant this SSR1 if hazing still appears then SSR2 via polishing pad?? and how much damage could i do to a car with SSR3 being how ive never used it before?

I meant do SSR 2.5 with LC and if that doesnt do it then go to SSR3 with LC. YOu will have hazing most likely after that so try SSR1 with a polishing pad. If SSR 1 doesnt get rid of your hazing then take SSR2 with a polishing pad. You can follow that up with SSR 1 with polishing pad if needed.

Greg

JaredPointer
05-12-2005, 08:42 AM

I highly doubt that you`ll "damage" it any further than it already looks if you use accepted detailing practices, no matter which product you decide to use. That`s going to take quite a bit of time and dedictaion, and I can`t imagine doing it by hand. How short of a time limit are you under? If it`s a short one, you might want to look into having a professional detailer get at it with a rotary or something.

Good luck no matter which course of action you decide on.

bbr4d3r
05-12-2005, 12:58 PM
No time constraints, she has been wanting to sell it for over a year now so its no biggy....As for the interior its actually in good condition thanks goodness hehe im going to ask her about the money for the pc tho, Im already going to need to buy products for getting my little detailing business underway...For not damaging paint on a car using the SSR3 im assuming i should read the tutorials on how to us a PC in the forum?? right, thanks for all the replys guys

JaredPointer
05-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Yes. the tutorials would be very helpful. :)

bbr4d3r
05-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Convinced my sister to buy me the porter cable :-) I guess this car will be a great practice car for my first PC experience...now to find a good deal on one :-P

p.s.

is it very difficult to apply a paste wax with a PC as compared to a liquid wax...i keep trying to decide which wax i want and everyone here seems to be in love with s100, trade secret, or nattys and i just dont want to run into a big problem of not being able to wax effiecntly...???

freedre
05-12-2005, 03:27 PM
is it very difficult to apply a paste wax with a PC as compared to a liquid wax...i keep trying to decide which wax i want and everyone here seems to be in love with s100, trade secret, or nattys and i just dont want to run into a big problem of not being able to wax effiecntly...???

Waxing won`t be a problem for you once you have the polishing part complete. You can ( and IMHO, should) do this part by hand. I am a Poorboy`s fan (EX and EX-P). They both go on and come off with relative ease.

Your big challenge is removing the oxidation and pollutants and restoring the shine. This will require a PC and polish. I would use SSR3 followed by SSR1.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

bbr4d3r
05-12-2005, 03:51 PM
You think that the polish and wax procedure should be done by hand?? Any particular reason? Thanks for your input btw :-)

JaredPointer
05-12-2005, 04:05 PM
You think that the polish and wax procedure should be done by hand?? Any particular reason? Thanks for your input btw :-)

I think he was referring to applying the Natty`s by hand, not doing the polishing by hand. :)

bbr4d3r
05-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Thats kind of what i thought but i was a tad confused heh