PDA

View Full Version : Klasse/ polish question help please

theflyingturtle
04-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I`ve been very happy with the Klasse twins topped with Collenite over the winter but I`d like to add a polish or swirl remover into the process. My question is, at what point do I use polish? Before or after the AIO? My understanding is that polish goes on after claying but won`t the AIO remove the polish? Also, is there a "cure" time for polish like there is for SG and waxes? Thanks!

BigJimZ28
04-03-2007, 11:03 AM
wash

clay

polish

Aio

Sg

12hrs

wax

polish dose not go on; it removes defects and leaves nothing behind to cure

JasonD
04-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Just like BigJim just said, polish doesn`t get applied, it gets *worked* in. If you are unsure about this process and the many different aspects that are involved, take a quick look at DavidB`s Guide To Detailing. It will explain the entire process to you.

Remember one thing, learn the process before you learn the products. A product isn`t any good without the proper process/technique, and dont forget to HAVE FUN!!

theflyingturtle
04-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow, thanks for the quick replies! I will read over Davidd B`s guide. I wanted to use a polish with fillers and assumed that the AIO would remove the fillers since it cleans so well. Thank you.

audipower
04-03-2007, 11:42 AM
no fillers bud. get rid of the swirls and then you will just have to finish polish from there on. if you wash properly.

my choice for a polish is menzerna. i don`t know what kind of car you have but i have an audi. a much harder clear coat then american cars. get menzerna IP and a cutting pad then get menzerna FP2 and a finishing or polish pad (not a cutting pad). i like the sfx series polishes and pads also. i`ve had good luck with them on american cars. in order of top in my opinion is menzerna, autoglym paint renovator and then sfx series. BUT i detail alot of german cars and menzerna saves me alot of time.

my suggestion if you car is out in the elements and not a show car add a paint cleaner. my favorite is sonus paint cleaner.

fillers wash away and in my opinion deminish shine compared to getting rid of them properly. your car will be more eye popping and the shine will last alot longer. it will take practice but you`ll get the polishing down. I suggest you start with the sfx series because it`s great for a newbie. also the directions and support is superb. you can`t screw up either, well you could but you really have to do something wrong.

good luck

David B`s guides are awesome.

Accumulator
04-03-2007, 11:42 AM
.. I wanted to use a polish with fillers and assumed that the AIO would remove the fillers since it cleans so well..

The AIO *will* remove any fillers left by the polish, which might results in some residual marring "reappearing". Because of this, when I`m using the Klasse twins I use polishes that don`t leave anything behind, this helps avoid any unpleasant surprises. Some people use a rubbing alcohol/water mix after polishing to remove any fillers, this allows them to see the true condition of the paint and is another way to do it.

JasonD
04-03-2007, 11:47 AM
And don`t get caught up in what brand product to use just yet, if you can help it. Before you can decide what brand product you use, you need to understand what the differences in them mean first, and also how to use them.

imported_midwesterner
04-03-2007, 12:33 PM
I am relatively new to this detailing world, but this thread hits a lot of questions I have.

I am using the Werkstatt AIO and AJ-T (similar to the Klasse twins).

After reading the Guide to a perfect Shine, I realize that polishing is a second step (1st step would be claying) after a wash.

Do I need to polish a car that is 8 months old? If so, what type of polish do you recommend with the products that I am using?

Finally, to make it pop, the guid suggests a PS120 on top of the sealant. Any suggestions of other waxes that are highly recommended?

Thanks

audipower
04-03-2007, 01:13 PM
it depends on the paint if you should polish. any swirls, oxidation? if not then don`t. i only polish when i have realllly have to. no reason to take clear coat off when you don`t have to. if i have minor swirls from the winter i just use menzerna FP2 and a green ccs or finishing pad. that does it for me.

my favorite wax is concours zymol for my metallic melange paint (light tan). if your on a budget P21S. i`ve only used blackfire once but on black it looked awesome.

Accumulator
04-03-2007, 04:19 PM
... the guid suggests a PS120 on top of the sealant. Any suggestions of other waxes that are highly recommended?

NOting that I no longer top my sealants (because I like to add more from time to time and you can`t do that after you apply a wax), I usually recommend Collinite brand waxes because of their stellar durability.

The polishes I use before the Klasse twins were discontinued and are getting hard to find, so I can`t really offer any recommendations. FWIW those products were from the 3M PI-III line- the Rubbing Compound 05933 and Machine Glaze 05937 (don`t worry about the names, they`re a little misleading with regard to how the products behave).