PDA

View Full Version : Detailing tips for first time PC user

pixelharmony
04-02-2007, 11:00 PM
I just bought my 7424 and am wondering what supplies I should buy.

Here is a hosted site where I`m posting all the damage on the TSX. This doesn`t include minor swirls here and there. I tried my best to keep the car clean for the last 3 years. The past 6 months I haven`t done anything at all because I have no garage to really work out of, no time, and Chicago weather takes a toll on wanting to do any detailing... period.

Adobe Web Photo Gallery (http://imagehost.rlmarketing.com/tsx/)

I`ve kept paint swirls to a near minimum.

I wanted to know what set of pads, polish, sealant everyone would recommend for someone that`s not really on a budget but wouldn`t want to throw down cash for Zaino. I was looking at getting some Sonus products, but am open to recommendations. I plan to fill in the scratches I need with paint, sand with ~2000 grit paper and polish down from abrasive to finish. What I had in mind was the Sonus DAS pad setup, with SFX-1 through SFX-3 and sealing it with Klasse AIO. I would of course wash and clay the car prior with what I currently have.

Again I`ve never used a porter cable before so I`ll be doing this very slowly and carefully. I`ll have limited access to a garage so I wanted to also know if detailing the car is okay in outdoor weather (of course not in 70 degree direct sunlight).

The car has an awesome finish. Carbon Grey Pearl looks gorgeous when cleaned properly and I want to get it done right.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

ttsoca
04-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Read read read, but i would suggest just wax your car with the 7424. It will help you get use to your new toy from there you can move on up. Thatswhat i did to get the hang of it. What you have there seems good though.

ron231
04-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Dont start by waxing its not gonna help your problems at all, dual action polishers are so easy to operate its mindless, you are not going to hurt your paint with a pc and something like xmt3 or even 4 for that matter.

You CANT burn the paint with a pc, its impossible really since it wiggles so much, and also it removes almost no clear, superior shine did a test on the meguiars forums about hor much clear you are removing, the amount the pc removes with a standard strength polish couldnt even be measured by the paint meter, you`re fine.

Now if youre going to try to get sanding scratches out with a pc, its not easy, first off, finish with 4000 grit (you can get it online) and youre gonna need some Optimum Compound (OC) and a yellow lake country (cutting) pad, then finish off with some OP or SSR1 or XMT1 or whatever (p106ff if u wanna spend the$).

Edge pads are good from what I hear, but expensive and I dont own any so I cant say...

If you decide to go sealant, use wolfgang, meguiars #21, NXT, zaino z5 or z2, there are many but those are some of the best.

Personally, I would say go yellow cutting with OC to Op, xmt1, ssr1 and then go over it with some RMG and natty`s blue or CMW.

Macruz19
04-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Just do a lot of reading. I have my PC for about a month. I just read a lot and then did hands on and I got the hang of it. Although I didn`t get the deeper swirls out, I still feel confident that the next time I have time I`ll be able to get them out. I also learned that using a 4" orange or yellow pad is more effective for a spot repair. It`s all about technique and the more you use it you`ll be almost like a pro :)

imported_speedingpenguin
04-03-2007, 08:00 AM
I`m a newbie to the P.C. as well, I`ve used it twice (well, tried it out on my Comanche just on the hood, and did my friends Ranger) and I can tell you, its easy as pie to use and takes almost no time at all to figure it out. I bought the Pinnacle XMT intermediate scratch kit, comes with the pads and the polishes you need, and works pretty damn good. On my buddys Ranger I`m going to have to get a more aggressive pad/polish because some of the scratches are just a little too deep for the XMT 3 and the orange pad, though maybe if I went over the car two or three times with that they might come out. But yeah. for 79 bucks, the XMT package gets a vote from me

ron231
04-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Dont get a pc package without a yellow cutting pad, the pc is not an aggressive machine and using a yellow pad really helps with speed, power, versatility.

Plus sometimes you can get the yellow to finish lsp ready, although generally you want to go over it afterwards with a light polish on a white pad.

pixelharmony
04-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the advice,

Any other input on Sonus products or other products?

imported_JoshVette
04-03-2007, 02:11 PM
I agree with the waxing. Just do something easy until you get the hang of it and once you feel comfortable don`t be afraid to compound with it as you can`t really burn the paint.

Make sure you`ve got the right pad for each type of chemical you use and don`t be afraid to turn it up to 5-6 once you spread the chemicals around.