PDA

View Full Version : Washing, claying, polishing ans waxing by hand, never again.

Johnnie27
04-02-2007, 01:42 PM
On Saturday I decided it was time to detail my wife`s car. I had been reading and researching everything I needed to know and decided Saturday was the day.

First I washed the car and then clayed it with Clay Magic. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Then I polished it with 1Z PP. Here is when my arms felt like giving up and my back was aching. After struggling to remove the polish I attacked the car with Collinite 476s. It went on smooth and easy but then it was time to remove it. It was obvious where I applied to much wax because it was difficult to take off. After I was done, the car looked great but my arms were done.

For the next 24 hours my biceps were killing me. They were beyond sore. For those of you that have been hit in the ba11$, you know that long, lingering, dull pain, well that`s how my arms felt everytime I moved them. I couldn`t even sleep because everytime I rolled over, I woke up in pain. I finally had to take a Tyelenol with codine for the pain.

The worst part of all is I still need to do my truck which I`m not sure how I`m going to do it. One thing I wished I had was a rolling chair for the sides and the bottom panels. I`m 6`3" and it`s difficult for me to reach those low places. I think that`s why my back is sore.

I think its time for a PC.

J

metload1
04-02-2007, 01:48 PM
If you`re lucky a local Lowes might have one or two 7336 versions left, but I doubt it. If you can`t get that I`d wait for the new Porter Cable Ultimate Polishing Machine.

Johnnie27
04-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I`ve called every Lowes within 50 miles and no one has any left. How much will the PC Cable machine cost?

JasonD
04-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, I`ve just learned myself that Lowe`s doesnt carry the Porter Cable 7336 anymore.

You can buy the Porter Cable 7424 from most online detail stores. I think they range anywhere from $100 to $200 depending on if you buy just the machine, or the machine with pads and backing plate.

It will be the best money you have ever spent!!

Accumulator
04-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Johnnie27- If it`s any consolation, polishing it with any other polish would`ve been a *LOT* harder! With any luck you can just redo the 476S after a month or so and keep doing that for a while.

I bought my first Cyclo in the early `80s and now I don`t even like to wax by hand. It`s nice to let the machine do most of the work ;)

metload1
04-02-2007, 07:32 PM
I`ve called every Lowes within 50 miles and no one has any left. How much will the PC Cable machine cost?

As far as the new version, I`m not quite sure the cost. It should be out in the next few months. As far as places online you can get the original PC, here are some links:

Dual Action Orbital Polishers and pads: Porter Cable 7424 : Lake Country Buffing Foam Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html)

Car Polish, Porter Cable 7424 Polishers, Foam Polishing Pads & Bonnets (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pcdepot.html)

7424 Porter Cable Polishers (http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html)

Johnnie27
04-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Johnnie27- If it`s any consolation, polishing it with any other polish would`ve been a *LOT* harder! With any luck you can just redo the 476S after a month or so and keep doing that for a while.

I bought my first Cyclo in the early `80s and now I don`t even like to wax by hand. It`s nice to let the machine do most of the work ;)

The 1Z was easy to take off and so was the 476. There were just a few tough spots where I applied to much wax. Also, I don`t think lifting furniture the previous night was any help.

thesacrifice
04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Hmm sounds like you need to address your fitness in a scary way.

BMW335i
04-02-2007, 08:55 PM
I polished my car by hand...WAS NOT FUN. But I was far from passing out or in severe pain.

kleraudio
04-02-2007, 10:42 PM
New PC? Whats that all about??

My first detail was by hand with wal mart terry cloth towels:doh

I feel your pain!

Jim

Johnnie27
04-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Hmm sounds like you need to address your fitness in a scary way.

Oh trust me, I thought of that already.