PDA

View Full Version : Opinoin on P21S Line?

ilanham
04-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Just detailed my car yesterday, spent 6 hours on it (inexperience adds time). I used almost entirely S100 products, and it was a light detail. Just wash, clay, S100 light Paintwork Cleanser, then S100 wax.

Question is, what`s everyone`s opinion on using their entire line for a detail? Do I need Mizerna IP or some kind of heavier polish? I know the answer is "most likely", as the car is a `97, and it was likely detailed only a few times in its life. But, just wanted the opinons of others to see if P21S is a suitable "line" of products (using only their stuff, excepting Eagle One and the like)

jasonmac
04-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Depends on what you need to do -- correction? P21S really doesn`t have polishes, so you`d most likely *have* to use something other than P21S to do any type of corrective work. They are very good products, though tend to run a bit more expensive than others.

lbls1
04-02-2007, 08:02 AM
They feature a very good and competitive carnauba wax. P21S gets high marks for user friendliness and results IMO.

JasonD
04-02-2007, 09:23 AM
I find the P21S line to be very nice, but it is all on the very mild side of things, which is great for new paint that doesn`t need correction. If correction is needed, you will have to look elsewhere for those products, but then come back to the P21S to finish it off.

joshtpa
04-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Their carnuba is excellent

imported_Nimble
04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
You could get away with using their whole line with a newer finish car. And if you have some marring to remove, just add Opt compound, 1Z PP, or CK compound and you could follow any of those up with the P21S PWC.

ilanham
04-02-2007, 01:18 PM
You could get away with using their whole line with a newer finish car. And if you have some marring to remove, just add Opt compound, 1Z PP, or CK compound and you could follow any of those up with the P21S PWC.

Would you say Opt Compound or Menzerna IP would be better for polishing?

joshtpa
04-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I use Menzerna personally but both are very good.

Accumulator
04-02-2007, 01:27 PM
ilanham- I know I`m in the minority when I say that I`m just not a big fan of the P21S GEPC or their wax..but there`s nothing wrong with it and what I *really* want to say is this:

When you wonder about whether or not you oughta do/try something else, I`d ask how *you* feel about your car`s appearance. It`s easy to get caught up in the Autopian search for perfection where nothing is ever good enough ;) If *you* like how it looks then it looks good. If you *don`t* like something about how it looks then maybe you oughta fix that..but if you ever *do* get it perfect it`ll be a royal PIA to keep it that way and IMO it`s easy to take the fun right out of this stuff by becoming too serious about it. Heh heh, more of my Autopian Heresy, huh? :o ;)

Oh, and when it comes to more aggressive polishes, if you`re working by hand I`d stick with stuff from 1Z.

imported_Nimble
04-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Would you say Opt Compound or Menzerna IP would be better for polishing?

Honestly, I`d say neither when comparing to the ease of use the 1Z PP and CK compound. I`ve never used the men IP, but I know that it dusts and the OC/PP/CK CP do not. I have the OC and have used it a few times with success. I`ve since replaced it in *my* uses with the PP and CK CP.

ilanham
04-02-2007, 01:41 PM
ilanham- I know I`m in the minority when I say that I`m just not a big fan of the P21S GEPC or their wax..but there`s nothing wrong with it and what I *really* want to say is this:

When you wonder about whether or not you oughta do/try something else, I`d ask how *you* feel about your car`s appearance. It`s easy to get caught up in the Autopian search for perfection where nothing is ever good enough ;) If *you* like how it looks then it looks good. If you *don`t* like something about how it looks then maybe you oughta fix that..but if you ever *do* get it perfect it`ll be a royal PIA to keep it that way and IMO it`s easy to take the fun right out of this stuff by becoming too serious about it. Heh heh, more of my Autopian Heresy, huh? :o ;)

Oh, and when it comes to more aggressive polishes, if you`re working by hand I`d stick with stuff from 1Z.

You bring up a good point, my car looks very good to the naked eye to me at least, and maybe I should just stick with this. Just wanted some opinoins on what is a decent product, There were some times polishing that I thought the paint was dirty, didn`t clay enough, did use polish correctly, thought the PC was a pain to use, etc.

Accumulator
04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
ilanham- Noting that I`m *NOT* in favor of products that "need mastering", IMO the learnig curve for this stuff isn`t always as steep as we`d like so sometimes you just need to try things a few times to get it all down pat and truly realize the maximum potential of what you`re using.

And if the car looks good I`d try to just be happy with it, not always the easiest thing to do when you frequent Autopia ;) Maybe wait until the first signs of the wax failing and then do a panel or two at a time (after each of a few washes) so it`s not a huge undertaking.

ilanham
04-02-2007, 10:06 PM
ilanham- Noting that I`m *NOT* in favor of products that "need mastering", IMO the learnig curve for this stuff isn`t always as steep as we`d like so sometimes you just need to try things a few times to get it all down pat and truly realize the maximum potential of what you`re using.

And if the car looks good I`d try to just be happy with it, not always the easiest thing to do when you frequent Autopia ;) Maybe wait until the first signs of the wax failing and then do a panel or two at a time (after each of a few washes) so it`s not a huge undertaking.

That`s exactly my plan, I hope to not do this kind of process once every two weeks. I`m hoping to never touch my car with clay more than say once a year, six months tops. I just get irritated when I use clay or polish, and parts of the towel still pick up dirt. guess I can`t clean it all, still looks great 3` away, it`s only at the microscopic level that I notice the defects.