PDA

View Full Version : Water Spot Question...

lifeuw19
05-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Was washing this weekend and let the car sit about 10 minutes without rinsing. Now i have some small water marks. I have a coat of polish and two coats of #16 already on it. I am hoping that protected it, but what is the easiest and most convienent way of getting rid of those suckers by hand?!? I read somewhere on here just to clay the car. if I do that, then i have to repolish and rewax. Any suggestions? i am sure there are other posts on here that touch on it, but i want one simple solution, if there is such a thing. Someone also mentioned using a QD. Would this work? Quite simply, what is the quickest and most effecient way to rid my ride of them?!? As always, thanks in advance.

tubafeak
05-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Either a QD or S&W should take care of them as long as they haven`t etched the Clearcoat. If they`ve gotten that bad you`ll have to polish them out anyway so claying would be a good idea. From what you`ve said, the first method should be all you need.

kaos
05-11-2005, 06:21 PM
You mentioned that you have two coats of wax on it, but you didn`t mention whether the washing that left the water spots ocurred before or after the wax application. If the car was already waxed, and you were just doing a wash, and ended up with some spots, then as tubafeak suggested, any QD or some S&W should take care of them.

If the spots came first, and then the wax, then the wax has to go, because the spots are underneath it. I would start out with a clay. That should take care of it if they are just light water/soap spots. If the clay doesn`t get rid of them, you might try some vinegar. Do a search on vinegar for the proper technique. If that still doesn`t get rid of them, then they`ve probably etched the paint, and you`ll need a fairly agressive polish done by machine to reduce their appearance.

The pros may want to step in and correct any of these suggestions, but this is generally what I`ve read in various water spot related threads here.