PDA

View Full Version : Corvette was egged.....:(

ddipaolo
05-11-2005, 11:34 AM
I`m new to the forum and have a question...

I have a 2004 Corvette (Black) and someone egged a number of houses in my neighborhood, along with my car. There are a number of tiny pin size chips (circular in shape) from where the egg hit the door. My question is - Is there anyway to fix this without painting the door. I`ve talked to a few details in my area (northern NJ) and they told me they might be able to touch up the marks and then wet sand and buff. Can anyone tell me how this would look and if it would really be unnoticeable? I got a price of $600 to paint the door and would like to avoid that. Also if anyone knows a good detailer in north/central NJ - I would appreciate it.

Any info would be great.
thanks,
Dominick

JaredPointer
05-11-2005, 11:43 AM
They should be able to touch it up just fine if it`s something you don`t want to do yourself. :)

tubafeak
05-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Get the scariest looking baseball bat you can find. Hunt down the kids that egged everyone. Make them pay for everything.

If that doesn`t work for you touch up paint should be perfect.

CharlesW
05-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Get the scariest looking baseball bat you can find. Hunt down the kids that egged everyone. Make them pay for everything.

If that doesn`t work for you touch up paint should be perfect.While this statement is probably made in jest, it might be worth reporting it to your police department and your insurance company.

When some kids went down our street slashing tires, the local cops caught them and the parents made restitution for the damage they had done.

The damage might be covered by your comprehensive portion of your insurance policy.

As a side note. It doesn`t necessarily mean they were a bunch of delinquents. Usually the random acts of minor vandalism are done with no thought whatsoever to the actual damage caused. That doesn`t excuse them from taking the responsibility, though.

Charles

rollman
05-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Raw eggs are one of the worst things for your cars paint . The amino acids and the proteins in the eggs actually eat all the way through the clear, and eventhe base coat . The best thing to do is view the area with a 30x magnifier to determine if the clear is crazed or cracked. If you do need a repaint , contact a Chip or Touch up guy to do a spot repair . Like anything finding a good touchup will insure a unnoticeable job. Used car lots use the services of these detailing specialest . Good luck .

joyriide1113
05-11-2005, 04:41 PM
i got hit with an egg once. went out and quickly cleaned it up worrying that the sun could bacck it in. when i was done. i was found with pitting scratches in a circular shape near my license plate... all ive been able to do is use some ssr3 to get it down a bit. the marks still exist but not noticeable at all. in the sun it blends in with the flakes. found the kids who did it, but didnt say anything. parents wouldve just defended their kids and the kids wouldve just lied.

Bell
05-11-2005, 04:58 PM
It is the eggshell, as it makes impact, that leaves those half moon type marks. You can spot repair the area but I would go with a repaint by a quality paint shop.

Way2SSlow
05-12-2005, 07:21 AM
That is so frustrating. Our LX470 as well as my Impala SS have both been egged. Unfortunately for us, both left permanent damage. Both of the cars are black. I would definitely report it though. I actually found the guy (we think) that egged our cars, and we`ll just say....we had words. :owned

Best of luck. I hate hearing about this kinda thing.

jiffy
05-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Semi-Hijack:

When I was at work the other day some massive bird either took a sh!t on my windshield or someone tossed an egg.

I got it cleaned off when I got home from work (who knows how long it had sat there durring the day) but now I have small scratches where the egg/sh!t was. :(

Ringo
05-12-2005, 12:51 PM
I think Clean Dean in Jersey. Send him a PM to find out of he`s in your area. If so, have him take a look because he`s a great detailer and I`m sure he`ll give you an honest opinion.

HondaMan
05-13-2005, 01:20 AM
This brought back memories....

Early `90`s, I had a Corvette. Originally, I had a place with a garage and the Vette got the garage every night. When I moved further west on Long Island, I had a place with no garage for my Vette. Quiet, little neighborhood -- but the car was not only not inside, but it was on the street (the family I rented from needed their driveway).

Anyway, one day I woke up and my next to having the car stolen or broken into, my worst fears: vandalism. Someone had spray-painted the driver-side door panels with a couple of quick hits. Looked like a spray can, probably from a moving car...even if they had done it at 3 AM, they probably wanted to be moving when they did the deed, lest someone see them, get a plate number, etc.

Long story short: I was fortunate in that even before I knew what detailing was, I was doing it. I had been a big user of (Classic) Liquid Glass and always had the car double or triple-sealed. The paint never penetrated beyond the surface layers and the guy I took it to (a combination detailer-body works guy) was classy enough and kind enough to do it for me at no cost (whatta guy, huh?). I think he was just happy to help out someone who, when he brought the car in initially, looked petrified (I thought I was looking at a $2000 paint job, big $$$ for me back then).

Anyway, good luck with your Vette, Ddipaulo, and I hope the Bergen police department catches the little SOB`s. Toilet paper in trees and egging mailboxes is one thing....damaging expensive vehicles or property maliciousley is quite another.

joyriide1113
05-13-2005, 10:41 AM
was ashamed in a way of posting this but since i was 14 at the time (4 years ago) i felt it doesnt matter. (lets just say "karma`s a b!tch)

4 years ago i was out one night at around 8pm and me and a bunch of friends decided to egg some cars. we thought it was halarious, and even more funny when we`d egg convertible tops. that night on our last 3 eggs i noticed i saw my teachers car parked on a driveway (he drove red cavalier). so we egged it. then 3 days later i hear a knock on my door and its him. all in all i fessed up to the CRIME and he let me go. he did mention how he didnt notice till the next day (we egged the hatch) and the sun had baked it in. he said that he needed a new paint job for his bumper. i felt really bad but didnt really understand the severity of the problem, until one of my friends had also gotten caught, but this time, got arrested. 3 years later my car gets egged and i get little pitting circular marks on my paint. ironically on the hatch of the car (just like the teachers)

vandalism is vandalism, despite wha the action may be. egging, toilet paper, ect. i do not excuse wha i did and i am very sorry for it right now. if u know who did it, set an example of the jerks and call the police. its actions young kids liek that take, that leads to more delinquent and criminal actions later on in life.

HondaMan
05-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Joyride, glad you learned the difference between right and wrong. Some don`t.

Hey, nobody likes toilet paper in trees but it`s not permanent damage. Even "egging" a mailbox -- unless it`s a designer mailbox, nothing major, IMO (no, I never did these things and am not making excuses. I`m just differentiating between degrees of criminality/pranks).

But when you cross the line, beware. Throwing eggs at cars damages the cars. What if the family isn`t home and the thing bakes into the car over a few days and destroys a larger section of paint?

And then of course, there are the complete ass*****, folks who throw rocks at passing cars, or that idiot a few years ago who thought it was funny to watch cars run into and push a bowling ball dropped from an overpass. He killed a young girl.

Stick with toilet paper in trees if you have to act deviant.